First Tournament on Ohio

I have my first ever tournament on the Ohio River in the Cannelton Pool next weekend. I have fished the actual river a few times over the last year and have caught fish, but not great quality. Are most tournaments won in the creeks or the river? Clover Creek, Deer Creek, and Oil Creek are the biggest ones in the area I'll be. I am familiar with several of the tributaries from crappie fishing over the years, but not well versed on bass fishing them. It will be a grind. but I'm going to make the most of it.

Stay in deer creek and take a number. By far the highest population of fish in there but that's because its the release area. Clover is decent, but Oil hasn't been much good for several years. There are fish to be caught in the river itself, but its a needle in a haystack so you are generally better off fishing creeks. Asian carp everywhere, so keep a wet towel handy to clean up the slime after they jump in the boat. Small crankbait, small spinnerbait and small flipping bait. Its simple fishing, just a grind as you said.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    Stay in deer creek and take a number. By far the highest population of fish in there but that's because its the release area. Clover is decent, but Oil hasn't been much good for several years. There are fish to be caught in the river itself, but its a needle in a haystack so you are generally better off fishing creeks. Asian carp everywhere, so keep a wet towel handy to clean up the slime after they jump in the boat. Small crankbait, small spinnerbait and small flipping bait. Its simple fishing, just a grind as you said.
    Thank You Steve. That’s what I was afraid of. Looks like I’ll be competing for space up in the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    what he said.