Electronics/Trolling motor installs….

Anyone recommend a shop in NY that can install electronics, batteries, run wire etc. Looking for a spot that has a lot of experience with the latest bass boats.

2. Member
    I have installed all my own gear, since most newer rigs come all set up, so all you need to do is upgrade what is there.

What boat are you setting up? and what gear?

3. Member
    Diy. I'm in the middle of rewiring my boat. Ordered custom trolling motor wires with connectors installed. To my length. Took the boat apart last week and ran the wire. Fixed up my electronics wiring into a neat bundle. all this moved my trolling motor battery to the back of the boat. This frees up some front storage space. Also gives me the option of running just one battery. That will save 50#. Phase 2 is installing a removable trolling motor mount( which I have). Gotta get time and energy for that. Phase 3 is getting a impulse lithium battery. That will be a great addition. Great battery that will save another 35#. I'm dealing with a case of Lyme disease right now and all fishing activities have been put on hold.
    Make straight forward installations, the less connections the better. If your installing electronics, wire direct to battery.
    I can't remember the name of the place I got the wire(ask on the trolling motor board). It was one stop shopping for all the connectors. Plan ahead, right stuff down, get tools ready. Get beer and friends to help. Do some grillin too!!
    Happy father's day!!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

4. Member
    Greg's marine wire supply.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses fellas. I have a 2020 FXR and was looking to upgrade the battery and wiring to graphs. Don’t have time right now for the DIY but that is still an option, I’m not in a rush. I’m looking for a reputable shop that does it all. Haven’t had any luck with my dealer so unfortunately I prefer to leave them out of it. The other shop I used for my 20hr service on my Yamaha was terrible as well. I keep my boat up in Henderson NY so if anyone can recommend any shops up there that would be great. Not afraid to drive though for good service.

6. Member
    I've had my boats worked on at Spicers Marine Basin in Clayton. They are slower than other marinas, but also charge quite a bit less. Their service is excellent.

I've heard good things about Chaumont Bay Marina too, but I've never used them.

I friend of mine used Schermerhorn Marina this year. They were on the expensive side, but they finished the electronics installation in just a few days. My friend is very pleased with their service.

For what it's worth, Chalks Marina is owned by the same people who own Schermerhorn Marina.

I've done my own electronics work, to include rewiring my 22ft Crestliner Sabre. That involved 2 new fuse blocks, 2 electric Canon downriggers, a Gen3 Helix 10 Mega+ chirp SI with transducer, Lowrance HDS9 Gen3 touch with TotalScan ducer, all new navigation lights, interior lights in the cuddy cabin and fishing cockpit/deck area, and much more. I also had to rewire that boat trailer.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

7. Member
    The problem with most of the shops that Sabre fan suggested is going to be availability, since they are all busy. Chalks Marina they have been very helpful as well as Schermerhorn Marina especially for electronics. My TM got a short few yrs back, and even though Fred at Chalks was busy, he called back to Schermerhorn told them which schematic to print for me so I can do my diagnostics.
    Clayton Marina are Yammie dealer, and helped me a few times when I had my Skeeter. This is the hot time of year for marine shops, so keep knocking on doors.

I am surprised that you need those upgrades on a Skeeter FXR, since it is supposed to be the hot ticket of bass rigs.

8. Member
    Yes the FXR seems to be the hot ticket but I can’t even begin to tell you the issues I have had since hr 3. Seems most new bass boats still don’t come rigged for that clean power that all the electronics need these days. Anyway sticking to this post, my issues and my inexperience with the new boat is why I’m looking for a shop I can trust and build a relationship with. I don’t trust my dealer which is 4 hrs away and I had a bad experience with Clayton Marine last year for my 20 hr service. So I’m not looking for a shop that works fast in these days, but a shop who actually cares about their customers and quality of work. Thanks Sabrefan, digthemup, and alumicraft for your help.

9. Member
    Another vote for Schemerhorn's. I've used them multiple times. One time I was fishing the river and my trolling motor quit working on day 1 of a 4 day trip. I went by water to Schmerhorn's and asked if anyone could look at it and their tech came right out. Fixed it on the spot and saved my trip.

I've also used Chaulks and was happy with them, but that was for mechanical issues not electrical. They were surprisingly fast, I had my boat back in under 2 weeks.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

10. Member
    I also do my own work ..just changed out alll my electrics . From Lowrance to HB solixs
    and a mega 360... was a weekend job but at least if anything’s goes wrong you know where to
    looks and how’s it’s all rigged up ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

11. Member
    I do my own stuff also.. I’m not mechanically inclined at all but I can’t see spending a crap ton of money on something that I personally can do.. good thing is that if it breaks I know how it’s rigged and don’t have to rely on a mechanic to fix it. I refuse to touch the motor though
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    If you goto a dealer for electronics you are crazy. The monster from Mohawk is right, do it yourself. Wire direct to battery. Plenty of info here on BBC on how to do it. Also check your battery(s). That is the first way a dealer gets you when you buy a boat. They cheap out on the batteries. I also have a few other observations on boat electrical systems but I am not gonna waste the ny forum on my opinions.