Wanted: PS22 for testing

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a PS22 transducer in good working condition they could send me so I can do some testing with it with my 8612 unit?
    Really tempted to buy a new one but 1k seems to be a lot for an older style transducer. I've tried buying a couple of used ones. One didn't work at all and the other one turned out to be a PS21 with issues as well. I'll gladly pay for shipping and a deposit for security or whatever works.
    I'm sure someone is going to have issue with this but I really, really just want my Garmin to work the way I need it to for open water suspended crappie fishing. More than willing to spend more money if the PS22 functions the way I need it too. Would love to see some videos from a PS22 as well targeting crappie in 20 to 30 fow 30 to 60 feet away.
    Thanks

2. Member
    Royt

I believe it was Winchester who made the comment that the old Panoptix transducers showed targets(fish) at approx. 3 times size compared to Livescope.

Basically you could have a fish show the same size on screen but at a farther range.

I use a PS21 along side my Lscope connected to a separate graph.

I keep the PS21 forward range 2 to 3 time the Lscope.

Very nice to keep on roaming fish.

The PS21 is 45 degree wide vs the PS22 at 20 degrees wide.

I think the PS31 had an adjustable angle of 20-45 degrees.
    Last edited by MikeF; 06-19-2021 at 10:30 AM.

3. Member
    Roy

Don't know if this will help.

Ice fishing, 8-9" crappie swimming back down to structure, lure drop on left is a 4mm tungsten jig.

Blobs at top of screen are released crappie that have not gone back down yet.

I don't ice fish, just experimenting with a friend that does ice fish.

There are other videos but don/t know if they would answer your questions.

4. Member
    Thanks MikeF, I appreciate your input. Real interesting video, look very good in my opinion. From what videos I've seen I really believe the PS22 would do exactly what I want to do and would like to run it on a split screen with an LVS32 and switch views back and forth between them depending on the fishing situation.
    I really like my 8612 unit, probably the best unit of any brand I've owned. Really hoping someone has a PS22 that I can borrow. Really willing to buy one if it does what I need.
    Would really love to see a video with an LVS32 and PS22 running at the same time on a split screen. I saw a short video today on YouTube that did that. I really liked how the PS22 looked for open water fish. Just want to make sure before investing another 1k.
    Thanks!

5. Member
    Just wanted to say that there are some really good people on this board!
    Thanks for the PM's.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Just wanted to say that there are some really good people on this board!
    Thanks for the PM's.
    And you’re one of those people Mr. Royt. You, DonnieG and Genec are good contributors to this forum also. Don’t let few a discourage y’all from continuing to be contributors. I hope I have half the ambition and desire in my LATE SEVENTIES EARLY EIGHTIES just to go fishing let alone want to figure out how to improve my electronics so I can be even more competitive. Y’all get much respect from me .

7. Member
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I know at times I've beaten a dead horse with some of my post. Don't mean to but just frustrated.
    Again there are good people on here and I appreciate the support.
    Happy Fathers Day to all!!!

8. Member
    It seems like the PS22 transducer would be very useful to easily see suspended fish. It’s a step up from the lvs12, so the range and definition is improved. It is designed for forward view. The Panoptix screen utilizes colors for objects, so that aspect seems user friendly.

9. Member
    thanks guys,roy i think that would work for us,guys we have invested in a ps21 and a new lsv 12 with neither one working good enough to see anything,we have no idea as to why they will not show anything

10. Member
    If the PS21 doesn't work for you the PS22 probably won't either. PS22 has smaller cone so it's more accurate with the pointing. Picture quality is very much the same.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    I've tried 2 different used PS21 transducers. I believe both were damaged. The first one would not come on or be recognized by our units. Gene also bought a used one and had the same issue. The 2nd one that I bought used was supposed to be a PS22 but turned out to be a PS21. It had several areas of damage on the cords. Our units would recognize it and it function some but not very well. You could also see multiple areas were zip ties had been used very tightly and most likely damaged some internal wires.

I was able to get most of my money back from the sellers for both PS21 transducers. Gene was not. So 3 strikes and we are out of buying used PS21 transducers.
    I truly believe a properly working PS22 transducer will do what we need it to do. It will be a few weeks but I will do more testing and post my results.

Thanks everyone for your positive input.

12. Member
    Royt

You should be fine with a new PS22.

Both look basically the same in forward view, outside of the cone angle difference in view width.

The PS22 also gives you down view, very similar to the PS30, which can come in very handy at times while scanning or jigging verticle

I already had the PS21, so I just kept it and lucked out using it as a search tool with the wider cone angle, set at a farther forward distance than the Lscope.

The PS22 should give the same results, but you will just have to scan back and forth a little more.

Now the question is if it is worth a $1000 to add it, that is up to the individual.

Me personally, heck yeah, but then again I am some what abbynormal according to the wife.

I run 5 graphs and 7 transducers on the boats.

Good luck

13. Member
    Royt

Found an older pic of LS and PS21 running together set at same forward scale.

The PS21 does not have the rear view of LS so image looks slightly to the left.

The pic shows the scale of crappie size of one system vs the other.

Hope it helps.

Click on pic for larger view

20210621_091011.jpg

14. Member
    Mike,
    Your my kind of guy, lol. Never enough toys! Really nice comparison picture. I really believe a PS22 would be very helpful to me and Gene. Probably going to wait until after ICAST before pulling the trigger on a new one as you never know if Garmin may introduce something new there. ������

15. Member
    Probably going to wait until after ICAST before pulling the trigger on a new one as you never know if Garmin may introduce something new there.
    The new Live Scope with a "target acquisition and tracking" feature.

Game changing! LOL

16. Member
    I'm not looking for nothing like that. I would love to see an improved lvs12 with a little larger coverage area that would be compatible to my 8612 or a "throwback" crossover transducer that is kinda like a mix of the older Panoptix and newer Livescope with only 1 beam for full coverage. Don't give 2 cents for Perspective View.
    Just dreaming!

17. Member
    I'm not looking for nothing like that.
    You would if you experience it. LOL

Imagine you point the LScope just once at your brush pile and you never have to adjust it again, no matter how much the boat tail wags in the wind.

18. Member
    Roy mention some of the problem we had in trying to get another ducer to work,i have a 122 unit and we also got a brand new lsv12 ducer ,well it would not fit on his so i hook it up to mine and the best we could do was barely see a dock post 10 feet in front of us ,no farther,i have been telling garmin that i believe my unit is not right but they will not except it as a problem so i have tried not to lamb bash garmin on here because others take it the wrong way so i have been accepting it as my problem and not others,only was wanting some advice on why so many and nothing works,i can accept some ducers bad but 5 and one brand new,wow

19. Member
    102sv, PS22 and livescope lvs32 Both connections are Ethernet.
    Attached Images Attached Images