New To Me Caracal - Few Questions

Hey Guys, I take delivery next week of my 2017 Caracal with 225 SHO. I have a few questions.

1. It doesn't come with a cover, really want one, should I order a custom one direct from Bass Cat or just get a Semi Custom and save some time/money? I know on BCB shop they didnt have a dropdown for Garmin Force under the trolling motor tab so I'd probably need to call. Does anyone know how long it would take to get one made from BCB? It says 4-5 weeks but I assume they are way behind with the current state of the industry.

2. It is a single console boat, I assume I can have BCB build me a 2nd console and I can just bolt it in? Same question above on lead time here.

3. Is a hydraulic jack plate worth upgrading to? If so what size / brand recommendation? I feel like its the one thing I'm missing on this boat but I've never had one...

4. What prop are you all running on your Caracal and what top speed are you getting?

Thanks everyone! I cant freaking wait. I can barely sleep at night lol. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as soon as I take delivery.

-Bret

[QUOTE=itsbwalt;11939823]Hey Guys, I take delivery next week of my 2017 Caracal with 225 SHO. I have a few questions.

1. It doesn't come with a cover, really want one, should I order a custom one direct from Bass Cat or just get a Semi Custom and save some time/money? I know on BCB shop they didnt have a dropdown for Garmin Force under the trolling motor tab so I'd probably need to call. Does anyone know how long it would take to get one made from BCB? It says 4-5 weeks but I assume they are way behind with the current state of the industry.
    ​ Auroua canvas custom covers makes the bcb covers, theres actually a pre made/ sale tab on their page, and theres a few caracal options currently and discounted. I personally would buy these covers and not a cheaper one.

2. It is a single console boat, I assume I can have BCB build me a 2nd console and I can just bolt it in? Same question above on lead time hereu
    ​I dont think youll get one any time soon but they can build you one. My 16 caracal had the removable console mounts, I would look into that option so youll have a detachable one.

3. Is a hydraulic jack plate worth upgrading to? If so what size / brand recommendation? I feel like its the one thing I'm missing on this boat but I've never had one
    ​Bobs plate is what everyones going to tell you, the atlas are ok, but have some relay problems and other small issues, It does imo improve the ride quailty in every rough water on that hull, but doesnt add much at all to hole shot. They are helpful idling shallow flats as well if you fish that stuff

4. What prop are you all running on your Caracal and what top speed are you getting?
    ​Id ask that on the prop page or the fb group, I know a guy who runs a tempest on his sho and it runs 76, most will probably be running the yamaha T2- I know another guy who was a big fan of the bravo on that hull, Ill ask Ric L what pitch he was running... I personally ran a 24/4 fury on my 16/ merc caracal, I think that hull needs all the lift it can get to perform correctly. I also believe the sho powered ones seemed to run better than the merc powered boats.

​Congrats again!- Matt
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

"the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post

thanks Louie!!

5. Member
    [QUOTE=Louie;11940295]
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbwalt View Post
    Hey Guys, I take delivery next week of my 2017 Caracal with 225 SHO. I have a few questions.

​ Auroua canvas custom covers makes the bcb covers, theres actually a pre made/ sale tab on their page, and theres a few caracal options currently and discounted. I personally would buy these covers and not a cheaper one.

2. It is a single console boat, I assume I can have BCB build me a 2nd console and I can just bolt it in? Same question above on lead time hereu
    ​I dont think youll get one any time soon but they can build you one. My 16 caracal had the removable console mounts, I would look into that option so youll have a detachable one.

3. Is a hydraulic jack plate worth upgrading to? If so what size / brand recommendation? I feel like its the one thing I'm missing on this boat but I've never had one
    ​Bobs plate is what everyones going to tell you, the atlas are ok, but have some relay problems and other small issues, It does imo improve the ride quailty in every rough water on that hull, but doesnt add much at all to hole shot. They are helpful idling shallow flats as well if you fish that stuff

​Id ask that on the prop page or the fb group, I know a guy who runs a tempest on his sho and it runs 76, most will probably be running the yamaha T2- I know another guy who was a big fan of the bravo on that hull, Ill ask Ric L what pitch he was running... I personally ran a 24/4 fury on my 16/ merc caracal, I think that hull needs all the lift it can get to perform correctly. I also believe the sho powered ones seemed to run better than the merc powered boats.

​Congrats again!- Matt

I ran the Bravo XS in a 27 pitch with all of the holes plugged. This was on a flashed motor but I I believe 25.5 would be ideal. The Bravo gets the Hull on the pad and keeps it there better than a 3 blade IMO.

6. Member
    There is a Caracal cover for sale on the Bass Cat webpage garage sale. Not sure if it would fit the trolling motor but worth a look.

7. Member
    I have a Caracal with a SHO. I run a Mercury 24/3 Fury. 70-72 mph.

I have an Atlas and I like it. The biggest benefit to me is the ability to jack it up when loaded for a better hole shot.

You are going to love the boat. The boat is very stable when fishing and has tons of storage and deck space.

8. Member
    Just had my new 2020 Caracal/SHO on the water first time last weekend. You'll be very happy with it. An incredible boat! Had it on the St. John's River for the break-in on the motor - little choppy, but the boat took it very well! Nice ride!

1. Mine came with the custom Aurora cover - it is of superb quality, and very sturdy. Plus with the BCB embroidered, it looks great! If you go that route, you won't be disappointed. I don't have any experience with other covers, tho.
    2. I'm planning on getting a second console for mine - came single only. I'm in no rush.
    3. Mine has the manual Slidemaster jackplate, and after the first 2 hours of the break-in, just got it up to 70 then backed off. I'm not worried about getting the hyd jackplate, at least for speed. The points above regarding where you fish if shallow are good ones, so might be worth considering. I figure I can tilt, too, if needed for that. Not sure I want to spend the extra money - yet.
    4. I have the 24/3 SHO prop that came with it. Again - 70 mph, gets on plane very quickly, everything seems on par with what the Yamaha page states for 225 SHO on this boat.

So for 3 and 4, depends on your priorities for the boat. I don't fish tourneys, so isn't necessary for me to squeak MPH over 70. It does great just the way it is.

If your experience is the same as mine, you are going to be very happy!