Thread: Puma Transom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Puma Transom

Hey guys, have a question for you. I am located outside of Springfield Mo, and I took my Puma in for service to a local service shop. They found a crack in the transom and are outsourcing the transom repair to a fiberglass specialty marine shop. The issue is, they’ve had my boat now for almost 2 months. Talked to the owner of the shop this morning and he has not even started work on it. He stated that he’s having a hard time getting employees to show up, which in the current environment, is not surprising as I know he’s not the only one. The issue is, I’m looking at least another 3 weeks at a minimum if he were to start tomorrow. By the time it is done, I’m looking at at least 3 months without my boat.

My question is, does anyone know of a reputable fiberglass repair shop in the area that can get me in and will do a quality job? I don’t mind taking it to LOZ or anywhere else in the general area. Just looking for ideas or reputable shops.
    Retired USN SEABEE
    2007 BassCat Puma, 2008 Merc ProXs
    Garmin Force, 106sv’s, Livescope

Did you buy it new or transfer the warranty over? That should be a lifetime guaranteed hull, unless it was accident or impact related. I would talk to BassCat if you haven't already.

I transferred the warranty over when I bought it. So, it’s covered. It’s just the time frame that sucks.
    Retired USN SEABEE

4. Member
    Call Richard at Basscat. He does repair work and is very good at it.

GelCoat Stress fractures are not covered in any warranty. Structural damage due to our effort is covered in our warranty the life of ownership, if original ownership or transferred. Usually transom stress fractures are due to impact of some sort and on a 2005 knowledge of damage is questionable as there usually have been at least 2 ownerships.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    GelCoat Stress fractures are not covered in any warranty. Structural damage due to our effort is covered in our warranty the life of ownership, if original ownership or transferred. Usually transom stress fractures are due to impact of some sort and on a 2005 knowledge of damage is questionable as there usually have been at least 2 ownerships.

Thank you for the reply BassCat. I’m working with BoatWrx who sent it out for repair. They have already received approval for it to be covered according to the service dept. My only issue was finding someone whom could do it in a timely manner. I definitely do not expect it to take a couple of days, especially to be done right. But, I haven’t had my boat now for 2 months. That’s the issue more than anything else.
    Retired USN SEABEE

7. Member
    Have you contacted Gary Wright, Wright Way Boat Repair, 870-481-5049, Lakeview, Arkansas.
    He works at BCB and is a very good fiberglass person.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbumpilori View Post
    Have you contacted Gary Wright, Wright Way Boat Repair, 870-481-5049, Lakeview, Arkansas.
    I have not. I was trying to stay local only due to my work schedule. I might have to reach out to him.
    Retired USN SEABEE

You could call Richard at BassCat(mountain home AR) or Les at Precision Paint Works(LOZ) or Gary Wright
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    You could call Richard at BassCat(mountain home AR) or Les at Precision Paint Works(LOZ) or Gary Wright
    Will do. Thanks!
    Retired USN SEABEE

just curious...where is the boat at now waiting?
    i know Championship Marine down that way does a lot of glass work and have heard good things about them.
    was thinking of having some things fixed on mine this winter there.

The only person I would let work in that area would be Richard as well / at bass cat in Arkansas.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Garry Wright, best there is period... PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Cbumpilori View Post

kw39, I've used Gary before for a couple of boats in the past. I'm about 2 to 2.5 hours away from him. But like Chuck said, he's very good- so good you will never find where he actually did his work compared to the original area surrounding. Gary will let you know what timeline to get your boat into his shop looks like and will also tell you when to plan to bring it up, so it isn't sitting in the weather. For 2 months. Or more.

But I would definitely take in recommendations from dealer and manufacturer, see what each one's status is and move the ball forward that way.

Thank you everyone for the replies. The boat is waiting on final approval from BassCat for the work to be performed, the shop finally has material and space to put her in. I know they have been extremely busy as well as issues with getting materials and such. I dont want to put the name of the fiberglass shop out there because I know everyone is in the same position and it really is not any fault of their own. I called several shops and they all said the same thing...that they are slammed right now and earliest I would see anything would be fall and that was if everything went smooth. Just frustrated with the lost season more than anything.
    Retired USN SEABEE

16. Member
    Gary Wright, fixed my boat great job he works for BassCat, Wright Marine in Midway Arkansa.

17. Member
    Give Sky's The Limit in Deepwater a call. They do excellent fiberglass work and could probably get to you pretty quick. 660-492-9024

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kilowatt39 View Post
    Thank you for the reply BassCat. I’m working with BoatWrx who sent it out for repair. They have already received approval for it to be covered according to the service dept. My only issue was finding someone whom could do it in a timely manner. I definitely do not expect it to take a couple of days, especially to be done right. But, I haven’t had my boat now for 2 months. That’s the issue more than anything else.
    Right here you say you have already received approval, then in post #15 you say you're waiting on final approval from Basscat. Little confusing?!? Hope it all works out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Right here you say you have already received approval, then in post #15 you say you're waiting on final approval from Basscat. Little confusing?!? Hope it all works out for you!
    You are correct! It has been very confusing. So, originally, since I had the warranty switched over through the Quest program (I am not the first owner), the service rep assumed that it was going to be covered and made the assumption that it was approved, that however does not appear to be the case. Due to the costs associated, and the age of the boat, the marine repair company wanted to ensure that they are not going to get stuck with the bill and wants written approval from BassCat that the work will be covered (which is fully understandable).

Originally, I wanted to find a different company for the repairs because I thought the hang up was with the repair shop performing the work. I fully understood the restrictions of getting materials and good labor placed on everyone due to covid and was more than willing to accommodate due to those limitations. However, it appears that there was never full approval asked for from Basscat early on, nor has BassCat approved any work to commence as of today.

So, it has been over 3 months without my boat and work has not even been approved let alone started. I am also worried that at this point, due to the age of the boat, that the transom work will not even be covered even though I know for a fact that I have not hit anything. No prop damage, no lower damage, no hull damage, but a cracked transom and stress fractures in the gelcoat from flexing.

I did get a hold of Richard at Basscat today and he stated that he was going to look into it further and get back with me. Hopefully it works out and we can start getting some work done on her.

Thank you everyone for your referrals for repair work!

Bill
    Retired USN SEABEE

20. Member
    Hope ya get it all figured out! Frustrating for sure with everything going on or not going on?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast