I am new to a Yamaha motor, and have a couple questions!

I just recently purchased a boat that has a 150 Yamaha Vmax. I’m not sure of the exact model, but it’s got a separate oil tank that you fill inside one of the compartments of the boat.

My question is, if I haven’t started the motor for a couple
    days, it takes about 3 to 5 minutes to get started. It has a priming bulb and gas line that was replaced right before I bought the boat. Brand new spark plugs installed before I bought the boat. Once the engine gets started the first time in a day, it starts right up every time the rest of the day.

Does anyone have tips on how to get the motor started a little faster at the beginning of an outing? I’ve never
    had an engine with a priming bulb before, what are some best practices around that as well?

Thank you!
    Andrew in KC

2017 Nitro Z17 - 115 Mercury Four Stroke Command Thrust

Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV UHD at Console / 2 Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV at Bow with Livescope

Heart Transplant Recipient - March 30, 2017! God bless my donor, and donor family!

2. Member
    I suspect that you have a V150. With carburetors. There are many other different kinds of V MAX motors.

Is the manual choke working? If so, is the electric choke working just like the manual choke works?

Have you tried experimenting with differing throttle openings?

Is the primer bulb pumped to the firm position before cranking the motor?

Is the motor positioned straight up and down before cranking it?

3. Member
    I’m used to having a Mercury 4 stroke. I’m not even sure what the manual chokes is on this motor. While turning the key, I did press in the key. I think that has some kind of choke ability.

Can you please explain what the manual choke is and what else I should look for?
    Andrew in KC

Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV UHD at Console / 2 Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV at Bow with Livescope

Heart Transplant Recipient - March 30, 2017! God bless my donor, and donor family!

My 150 has similar issues. See attached link
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....656&highlight=
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

5. Member

6. Member

If a carb motor here are some suggestions when starting. I have a 2001 max 150 carb
    Prime bulb(squeeze/pump the bulb until it gets firm)
    trim motor level
    hold the key in(this is the choke) while holding the key in turn the ignition key
    may need to feather the hot foot or engage the throttle a little. May also need to quickly engage the choke a couple of times during initial cold start. This is done by quickly pushing in the key and letting it out while it is running.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1275 View Post
    I’m used to having a Mercury 4 stroke. I’m not even sure what the manual chokes is on this motor. While turning the key, I did press in the key. I think that has some kind of choke ability.

Can you please explain what the manual choke is and what else I should look for?
    On the motor by the big hose. If I remember right, pull it out and as soon as the motor starts, push it back in.

9. Member
    Thank you everyone for great info. I will be trying this all tomorrow.
    Andrew in KC