Des Moines area lake

Sometime this summer I am going to take one of my nephews fishing. They live in the Des Moines area and he's young enough (10) that I don't want to have to drive too far from their house to fish since it will probably only be for a few hours at most. I'm looking for a place that I can put my boat in since I don't think he's ever fished from a boat before. I really don't care if the lake has big fish in it, I'm just looking for somewhere that might be good for catching some bass of any size. I'm going to try and teach him how to use a few lures since he normally just fishes with a worm and bobber. Any lakes I should definitely check out?

2. Member
    Badger Creek lake by Van Meter. I’d skip Saylorville and Big Creek, that’s always a tough bass bite and too much company

3. Member
    Thank you! That is not a lake I had looked at and it's good to know about Big Creek since I was looking at that one in particular.

4. Member
    Badger is down a dirt road, but there a good bass in it. There are usually brush piles w/ crappie and gills off the sides of the fishing jetties near the south ramp, and usually some defined weed lines by the north jetties (near bridge). Haven't been there this year yet. Good luck!

5. Member
    Thanks for the useful info! I'd like to have my nephew try a couple "easy" baits to fish, like a senko and maybe a topwater of some kind. It doesn't bother me that it's on a dirt road, but thanks for letting me know that. Since they live in Norwalk it looks like it's almost straight west of where they live, and not a very long drive. Probably will be going sometime later in July or in August. Again, thanks for the help.

6. Banned
    Since they are in Norwalk, look into Lake Ahquabi. It's just south of Indianola. There's also a smaller trolling motor only lake just south of Ahquabi that I've heard is really good

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Since they are in Norwalk, look into Lake Ahquabi. It's just south of Indianola. There's also a smaller trolling motor only lake just south of Ahquabi that I've heard is really good
    Ahquabi is being drained pretty soon