Thread: Chine Walk 2080

Chine Walk 2080

Is anyone having trouble with chine walking, when I get to 63 mph mine starts going crazy lol. I have played with the trim but can’t seem to get past 63. I’m running the 22 fury with 6’’ manual jack plate still set to factory.

2. Member
    What batteries do you have?

3. Member
    Do you know prop shaft height that factory set it at? My 2080 Mer XS200 23" fury gets a bit wild with little to no gas in the tank when I am alone. I usually keep half tank or more. I have 3 Optima batteries, running my Ghost on 24V. I can drive the chine movement out of it no problem. I can get 68.6 with the wife, she is 125lb though, at half tank of fuel with an 8"to 10" chop on the surface. I have considerable amount of weight at the bow with ghost and a rite hite trans turret .

4. Member
    I still have factory batteries.

5. Member
    Raise your jackplate.

6. Member
    Just curious my father in laws VX21 does it around 72-73 and best we can figure it is the reduced weight from Lithium Batteries

7. Member
    I’m going to move the center battery to passenger side and see if that helps.

8. Member
    Moved both trolling motor battery to passenger side and all gear, 63mph and wants to throw me out the boat. Any suggestions?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spell173 View Post
    Is anyone having trouble with chine walking, when I get to 63 mph mine starts going crazy lol. I have played with the trim but can’t seem to get past 63. I’m running the 22 fury with 6’’ manual jack plate still set to factory.
    Are you wide open throttle at 63 or is there still some throttle left? I would raise the jackplate until it stops....should solve your problem.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

Mine starts to walk around 63mph too and i have a bobs hydraulic lift but i have very little bow lift.
    Do any of you guys have good bow lift?
    2019 Vexus AVX 2080
    Evinrude G2 200
    Bobs Hyd. Jackplate, Dual power poles
    Aluminum trailer, polyurea flooring

11. Member
    I have trouble with it also, it plows then finally lift. I’m running the 22 fury with manual jack plate.

12. Member
    Motor mounts?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

13. Member
    If you are having chine walk, your bow is lifting, and lifting well. Once the boat is on the pad, and at good speed, most boats are going to move around because at this point you are basically driving the lower unit. If you think your boat is wild, set your ass down in an Allison, Stroker, old Glass Stream, Bullet, any boat designed for performance, and experience that kind of lift. Hate to say this, and someone may prove me wrong here, but you can do two things to eliminate chine walk. You either slow down and keep enough boat in the water to prevent it, or learn how to drive it. Once you learn how to prevent it with technique you got it whipped. Any vehicle that you drive to the ragged edge of speed and handling is only a hiccup away from disaster. Approach fast boat driving with extreme caution, even once you reach a point where you feel comfortable...don't ever become complacent. If you survive, it hurts to leave the comfort of a bass boat moving over 70mph.If you have not been in a bass boat at 80+ find a buddy that has one and ask for a ride. If you ask for a second ride, you are nuts. If I am in a bass boat that exceeds 60mph, I will be the driver, dont care if its Eddie Hill driving, I aint doing it.

14. Member
    Or try raising the engine a 1/4" at a time and see if it makes it more manageable?

15. Member
    As dbs1 said...and the second time I've said, raise your engine.

16. Member
    I have raised the engine until started losing water pressure, It didn’t seem to help. The weight is balanced good and I don’t have much weight in the bow. The 2080 i test drove before buying this one had very little walk at 66 mph with two people in the boat, no gear and half a tank of fuel.

17. Member
    I don't own a tin, but think I can help with the chine walk issue.
    Raising the engine/JP wont always remove chine walk, but will sometimes delay it and happen at a higher speed. The down side is you lose bow lift at lower speeds.
    The demo ride you took had the chine starting at 66 mph. You had weight in the left seat, thus balancing the boat while lighter with less gear.

Chine isnt a negative, it means your boat is performing well and limiting the amount of pad contacting the water. This leads to the drivers weight causing the boat to fall off pad. When this happens, the chine starts.
    If your boat is starting to chine at 63 mph, there's more speed to be had.

Lower the Jackplate back to factory setting. This should help with the bow lift. If its still lacking, a 4 blade will do the trick/

Here is a link about chine and learning to control it. Hope this helps. Keep us updated on your progress.

https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...my-experience/

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Member
    Thanks that makes sense.