97 Stratos Livewells Leaking

It appears my livewells are leaking and I have a feeling it needs to be resealed at the top. I get water in my hull but only when I run my livewells. When I come off plane I have water the comes up on the floor from the back of the boat beside the seats. I assume the only way for water to get there is from coming over the top of the livewell? Has anyone else had this happen? What was the fix?

2. Member
    Just went through this with my boat. Take boat to ramp aback it in a let sit if no water the. Run livewells that’s how I found mine . The fill pump had leak at base. Saved me the trouble of take it boat apart to fix

3. Member
    would also check your sump pumps if they are allowing that much water to stay in the hull
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    No way the livewells are letting that much water in unless there is a broken thru Hull fitting. It’s that likely, you have a leak between the cap and hull on the back corners under the rubrail.

if it really is from livewell, then run the livewell and look in the back compartment.
    not shuld be obvious if you are flooding the floor.
    Even if it is leaking over the tip of the livewell, it would not put that amount of water in the hull. It takes a massive amount of water to fill the hull to the point of coming up onto the floor. You should have issues planing out if it is that full of water.

Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    No way the livewells are letting that much water in unless there is a broken thru Hull fitting. It’s that likely, you have a leak between the cap and hull on the back corners under the rubrail.

if it really is from livewell, then run the livewell and look in the back compartment.
    not shuld be obvious if you are flooding the floor.
    Even if it is leaking over the tip of the livewell, it would not put that amount of water in the hull. It takes a massive amount of water to fill the hull to the point of coming up onto the floor. You should have issues planing out if it is that full of water.
    Sorry, I should re-phraze that. The water coming up beside the seats I think has to be from the livewell because the hull is not full of water and flooding over. I think what is happening is the water is splashing over the top of the livewell and onto the top cap and coming up the floor before it drains into the bottom of the hull. It's not a hug amount of water but definitely some coming up beside the seats and it only comes forward when the boat dips forward after coming off plane. If that makes sense? I run my bildge and it runs for about 10 seconds and that's it. I have checked my rub rail and re-sealed/tightened the screws and I'm 100% sure it's not leaking. I have ran my livewells and checked all the plumbing/fittings for leaks and I'm 95% sure they are not leaking and if they are it has to be a very small amount. The only place I can think of that the water could get there from is from splashing over the top of the livewell and into the top cap before flowing into the hull. Is this even possible though?

I just wanted to update everyone just incase someone is curious or stumbles upon this thread at some point with the same issue. It ended up being water splashing over the top of the livewell between the livewell and the top cap. There was some old silicon in there, probably original so I peeled out the old stuff and resealed it all. Man they sure didn't make those livewell holes very big in 97! I could barely fit my head with an arm in the well to apply the silicon but after standing upsidedown with my head in my livewell with silicon fumes I got er done LOL Everything is water tight now.

7. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools