Is This Oxidization Repairable or Not? '94 Ranger Sport R70

Hello,

I purchased a used 94' Ranger Sport R70 and the top cap is pretty oxidized all the way around. I am wondering if anyone with experience or expertise can tell me if the oxidization could be wet sanded out. I took a picture of the two worst spots of oxidization on the boat (attached).

IMG_6725.jpgIMG_6726.jpgIMG_6728.jpg

Any tips, thoughts, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gonna take some work, but unless you can feel the flake, you can probably wet sand it. I'd start with maybe 900 grit and work my way to 3000 grit. Then apply a good sealer/wax and then a good carnauba wax.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply, I cannot feel the metal flake, in fact I can visually see some "depth" beneath the Milky oxidization. The bad oxidization is really only isolated to those two spots, the insides of the top cap and the hull all look really good yet.

Read Basscat 7 post in the "pinned" section above. Good info there and try a small section at a time.

5. Member
    Thanks Paul, I read it over. I am actually fairly researched on HOW to wet sand and restore the oxidization, I was just wondering if my oxidization was to severe in the two spots pictured to be saved. I sent the same two pictures to a local marine shop that repairs gel coat, fiberglass, etc. and the gentleman told me the only way was to completely re-paint the whole boat....which I refuse to believe (especially since he said starting prices are $6,000 for that job).

6. Member
    Nope, respray they didn't have much clear from new and given the age you will sand thru quick to try and get the dead layer off.

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Crank68 should be able to give you a better answer about that condition and so on ,he usually on here , and deals with stuff like this all the time...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Text or call me at 919-631-2019. I’ll try to help you get goin in the right direction. I’ll need to ask you a few questions and may need a few pics sent to me. If you start on the boat without good usable info be careful. I currently have a potential customer that “tried” to get out scratches and sand his 22’ black boat and has ruined it. I’ll be doin as estimate on it Monday. Check out ncboatguy.com you may be able to find a pic or vid that looks like your boats finish.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com