Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homemade Docking Sticks

Made these this past weekend after watching some videos online on what is needed and also how to use them. Have not given them a try yet but looking forward to using them once I get back on the water.

Here is the material list. I got everything at Home Depot except for the vinyl wrap:
    2 - 48” bungee cords
    3/4” pvc cut to 14” long ( it is thick walled pvc I just bought two 2’ sticks)
    1” chair leg caps
    Red vinyl material from Amazon

Instructions:
    Cut the pvc to length, drill 3/8” holes in the center of each of the chair leg caps. Take your 48” bungee cord and fold it in half and attach a tie wrap making a loop in the middle to help pull the bungee through the chair caps. Thread the first chair cap onto the bungee and push it down to the two hooks. Make sure to have the open end of the chair cap facing away from the hooks. Then push the bungee through the pvc and push the chair cap by the hooks onto the pvc pipe. Then thread the other chair cap onto the bungee and use the tie wrap to pull it through the hole. Then attach the cap to the pvc pipe and even out the bungee to equal lengths on both ends.

If you want to use vinyl wrap do this before you start assembly. Wrap the vinyl around the pvc to determine how wide of a piece you will need. Mine turned out to be 3 1/2” x 14 1/2” long. That allows for an overlap about 1/4”. Make sure the pvc is clean, peel back the backing on the vinyl and lay it sticky side up flat on your table. Then lay the pvc pipe on the table and slide it towards the vinyl till the vinyl starts to move with the pipe. This means that the edge of the vinyl is touching the pipe all the way across. Then carefully roll the pipe over the vinyl to adhere it to the pipe. I used a heat gun on low to warm up the vinyl some to get the adhesive to stick better. Lastly I trimmed the ends flush with the pipe using an exacto knife.

IMG_0868.jpg
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)

Excellent!
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

3. Member
    PJ,

Very nice indeed. I think I will make me a set.

Thank you. Stan

WOW Looks Great

5. Member
    Made my own from 3/4 pvc (gray) 1 inch floor caps and yellow bungee cords from Lowes there is a great utube video on making them cost me about 14 bucks for the pair

THANKS

7. Member
    Great idea, love it. Going to make me some today...

These work great. On the ones I made previously, I added foam pipe insulation as added protection - and allow them to float if dropped overboard. Also added D-rings to loop the bungee hooks around a cleat and back onto the stick.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=900479

As mentioned, be sure to use Sched 80 PVC (the heavier grey kind) - not the thin wall Sched 40 (white) stuff.
    When you use them, be sure to tie off with diagonal spring lines to keep the boat from moving fore/aft.

9. Member
    Just finished making a pair this weekend. Have not tried them out. Made mine a little longer, 18 " of PVC that I had laying around. Plenty of You Tube videos on the topic. Hopefully my boat will not accumulate the dock rash it has in recent years at my brother in laws place.

I still don't see how this prevents the boat from moving fore or aft against the dock no more than a rope does. The principal is great but in reality, it does work to what I would want it to do, keeping the boat away from the dock period.

Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I still don't see how this prevents the boat from moving fore or aft against the dock no more than a rope does. The principal is great but in reality, it does work to what I would want it to do, keeping the boat away from the dock period.
    The sticks do NOT prevent fore/aft movement - they simply keep the boat away from the dock. Again, you need to use diagonal spring lines with the sticks to prevent fore/aft movement.

12. Member
    Thanks for this share! Gonna make me a set when I have some down time

13. U.S. Navy, Retired
    Those look better than the ones you can buy thru the online companies! Going to try this soon. Thanks for posting!
    2019 LUND 1875 Pro-V Bass XS
    2019 200 Merc V6

14. Member
    Made two of these yesterday, $20 is way better than $80-$100, and it only took a few minutes!

15. Member
    Made these this last spring and used them a few times at my brother in laws dock. They worked well. Do need bow and stern lines with a spring line to stabilize the boat from moving fore and aft. No dock rash this year. Keep three of them in my boat. Thinking about making a long one out of two 48" bungies for the bow, or buying bungie chord and making a longer one.

16. Member
    Sweet!

Very Nice!

18. Member
    Made mine with bulk 3/8” bungee cord and plastic hooks iff amazon…..added pipe insulation too. My older boat’s beam is much narrower at front cleat…..so I made one longer in order to prevent dock damage.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

SMILEY2UALL
    02' Nitro 896 DC 200 Merc XR6
    RM 1:16
    <')))><{

HOOK EM' AND COOK EM'

I made some as well. Used the wife's Cricut to cut the vinyl and clear coated it to seal in the edges PXL_20220101_231620985~2.jpgIMG_20220223_102431.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast