Question Trophy plus propeller Cavitation ring/exhaust seal. Need help

We have a 225 vindicator on a 1996 Stratos 201 pro XL with a 24 trophy Plus and no matter what we do to the PVS plugs or the engine height it will not wind up at hole shot it just barely climbs out of the hole my guess is that there is Exhaust escaping from around the barrel of the prop because of It’s smaller diameter than the lower units diameter . You would think that it would blow out but I think instead of the gases being shot up onto the blades by the pvs plugs it is just running along the root of the blades and still causing it to hook up well.The over hub ventilation causes low back pressure inside the barrel that would prevent the Pvs plugs from blowing gasses up onto the blades. This is just my theory we have ordered a cavitation ring for the trophy plus. Any ideas of why the prop is hooking up so well? Thanks

2. Member
    NOTE:The lower unit is not original to the 1996 engine. The lower unit on it now is from a 2000 225HP Johnson high output engine. I do not think the gearing is any different than what was on it. The lower unit does look more hydrodynamic though compared to the original one that came on that engine. Again I’m assuming that it is basically the same but I could be wrong. Any thoughts???

3. Member
    It sounds like you aren’t getting any ventilation at all,if so,the prop would spin up easily or blow out completely. That 225 should turn a 24 without any problem,vented or not on that Stratos. I would get the engine checked,it sounds like you are running on five cylinders.

4. Member
    Agree with RIP Bass. I just went though this with a 95 Venom. Spent 3 weeks playing with jack plate and props before I was told to make sure the motor has a clean bill of health. I was running 51 mph, Rebuilt carbs and new timer base and I run 68 now.

^^^^^^^Plus 3
    Ring will make it far worse not better, less slip during hole shot & much lower RPM. Need to 3800 before nose over
    The ring also restricts exhaust flow which may lower top speed a little
    With no ring on it you should have solid PVS plugs if motor is up to par
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    I'd go to the Evinrude/Johnson motor forum and ask about that lower unit I think it's an old lightning and the set up is different than the old one you had.