Removing thermostat caps

I have a 2005 250 Ficht.
    Model: 250FCZSRM
    Serial: 5044519

I tried to remove the thermostat caps so I can replace the old thermostats with the etec thermostats and do the spark plug upgrade.

I can't get the thermostat covers to budge...

This power head was from a saltwater motor, any suggestions for removing them? I do have spare covers.

2. Member
    could cut the top off and use a hack saw blade to split the threaded "ring" into 2-3 pieces then roll the cut sections out of the threads
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Few taps on the top of each cap with a dead blow hammer and very large channel locks unless you have the correct size socket for the large cap nut. If you use the small one you can possibly break those.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Few taps on the top of each cap with a dead blow hammer and very large channel locks unless you have the correct size socket for the large cap nut. If you use the small one you can possibly break those.
    I'll give that a try, I sprayed them this morning with some aerokroil I'll let it sit until tomorrow

5. Member
    I had to use a long pipe wrench and broke one side. Was a pain to get the rest out after it broke. I used a hacksaw blade but you have to be very careful not to cut into the threads in the head. I cut just deep enough and then used some chanel locks on the one small bit that was above still and broke the plastic the rest of the way. Had to use a small pick to clean the threads afterwards.

When you replace the caps be sure to use grease on the threads to prevent this the next time.
    Good luck.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Striperaddict View Post
    I had to use a long pipe wrench and broke one side. Was a pain to get the rest out after it broke. I used a hacksaw blade but you have to be very careful not to cut into the threads in the head. I cut just deep enough and then used some chanel locks on the one small bit that was above still and broke the plastic the rest of the way. Had to use a small pick to clean the threads afterwards.

When you replace the caps be sure to use grease on the threads to prevent this the next time.
    Good luck.
    They will be greased! Never had this issue with my other Ficht or DI motors.

Still soaking

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leckbass View Post
    They will be greased! Never had this issue with my other Ficht or DI motors.

Still soaking

The last sentence in your OP Salt water motor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    The last sentence in your OP Salt water motor.
    Oh absolutely

9. Member
    Yes, I too had to cut mine out this Spring {'98 175hp FFI) and yet they had been greased with the OMC/Bomb 'Triple Guard' grease when replaced along with the last full waterpump service; and were torqued properly too! While I cut/chipped out the pieces, I also had my little one hold the nozzle of the shop vac there so no crap went into the engine.
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI