Question for battery experts

10 years ago, I decided to upgrade my 2005 Bass Tracker PT 175 12 volt 43 pound thrust trolling motor with a 24 volt 71 pound thrust trolling motor. I had no idea how to do this, so I had a local shop do it for me. I remember them mentioning that they would have to add another 12 volt battery to make it work. Long story short, this summer I decided that I would learn the ins and outs of my bass boat. No more taking it into the shop everytime I needed something done. Anyway, I decided to replace my batteries, so I disconnected the old ones, and when I went to connect the new ones, I couldn't figure out what was going on with the cables to the onboard charger. Turns out the battery charger is set up for two banks, but I've had three batteries for the last 10 years! Have I spent the last ten years charging two batteries, leaving one completely unused? If so, how did the 24 volt trolling motor work? (I did notice that the two trolling motor batteries were connected in series.) So, tonight I bought a three bank charger so I could charge all three batteries. I'm just perplexed that all these years I've had three batteries in the boat hooked up to a two-bank charger.

2. Member
    You might want to post this question on the Texas Fishing Forum as well. My buddy runs 36V but I've never looked to see how his charger is hooked up.

3. Member
    Cranking battery is being charged by the engine alternator most likely.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Member
    only hook your onboard to the 2 trolling batteries. No need to charge your cranking every time.
    2013 20XD/ 250XS