TRACKER BOAT/HUMMINBIRD HELIX WIRING DIAGRAM HELP....PICS PICS PICS

This is a first-time fish finder install that I may be attempting. Please see below in the attached pictures of a mock diagram for my installation of hummingbird helix 9 (console) and hummingbird helix 10 (bow) on my 2020 tracker 175 TXW TE.

Control head power cable: 18 gauge

Marine wire to run direct to the battery: 12 gauge

Inline fuse holder: 12 gauge

Spade Connectors (Marine grade):

12-gauge (yellow) female

18-gauge (purple) male

*I have male/female for both size spade connectors, but the aforementioned fits the most-snug while connected*

Please see below in the attached pictures of a mock wiring diagram for my installation of hummingbird helix 9 and hummingbird helix 10 on my 2020 tracker 175 TXW TE. The wiring diagram is just an example of installing one of the units.

I WANT TO MAKE SURE I AM DOING THIS CORRECTLY. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Spade Connector.jpgWiring Diagram.jpg

2. Member
    That will work. Only problem might the length of the run,you might need #10 or even #8 wire. You can try what you have and see if you have a voltage drop,if so,upgrade the wire.

3. Member
    Thank you for your response RIP BASS...

the 12 gauge wire that I am running from the bow direct to the battery is 20' and the 12 gauge wire I have from the console to the battery is 14'

the 18 gauge power cable length from the humminbird factory is approximately 6' in length.

is this what you are referring to?

Thanks again for your help

4. Member
    What you should see is a voltage drop less than .2 volts. That is with the bow unit on and running. Read at the battery terminals and as close to the unit as possible. The difference between those readings is the voltage drop. I would run the #12 wire as close to the unit as possible.(shorten the #18 wire). The larger wire you run to the finders the lower the voltage drop. (less total resistance in the circuit)JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Thank you bob. Very clear description. Would you put electrical tape over the connectors after they are heat shrinked? Those spade connectors are marine grade heat shrink

6. Member
    I would not bother with tape, Heat shrink with adhesive will seal it permanently.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Spade connectors are just adding additional failure points. I recommend butt connectors. Use the size for 12 gauge, when inserting the 18 gauge double the wire over to make it twice as thick. Heat shrink.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxstang90 View Post
    Spade connectors are just adding additional failure points. I recommend butt connectors. Use the size for 12 gauge, when inserting the 18 gauge double the wire over to make it twice as thick. Heat shrink.
    +1
    Fish have fins, they swim

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxstang90 View Post

good idea. I like that…

That will work, only I would move the fuse to the front and put it between the unit and the power wire where it connects. I ran a new run to another fuse block, then ran all my electronics to it. Just a more "Glorified" version of what you are doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Thank you wmitch2, looks good man