2014 Merc Optimax DFI 115 Troubleshoot

I was making the run back to marina. The motor beeped once and shut off. I turned the key to off, turned to on...beeped once and turned over. It ran about another 7 mins, no loss of power, beeped once and shutoff. I was able to get back to the marina, i tested the kill switch no problem there. It was not over heating, nor low on oil or fuel. I know those continuous beeps. I got back home, turned the key and now i am not getting the initial beep at all. Any thoughts?

I believe the beep at key on indicates initial system checks. If the beep is not occurring at all, then that would indicate to me that the computer is not doing its job at performing the system checks.

I don't know man, I hate to say it, but it sort of sounds like the computer is on the fritz. You may want to make sure your grounds are good and then see if you have a way of communicating with the motor. If no communication is present then that's a big red flag and further solidifies my thoughts that it is the computer itself.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check your battery, battery cable connections, and keyswitch harness connection (inside the cowling). Also check for an adapter harness (adapting from the 14 pin your engine uses to anything else). Those connections would also be suspect.

Beyond that... a transom-mounted keyswitch harness can be used to quickly identify if the problem is inside the cowling, or in the boat's electrical system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Excellent Thank you.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check your battery, battery cable connections, and keyswitch harness connection (inside the cowling). Also check for an adapter harness (adapting from the 14 pin your engine uses to anything else). Those connections would also be suspect.

Beyond that... a transom-mounted keyswitch harness can be used to quickly identify if the problem is inside the cowling, or in the boat's electrical system.
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    I had the same problem with my 2012 75 Optimax, (just the loss of beeping before starting). My ECM needed to be replaced under warranty. Thank God, without a warranty it was over $1300 Can. to replace. Simon Motorsports used to modify the ECM to change a 75 to 115 Optimax, i think Mercury stopped that but they might be able to repair it for you, if that is what the problem is .

7. Member
    No "test beep" at key on first step is to do as Don suggested.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................