Do’s and do NOT’s when you buy your first Garmin and you are getting a Livescope

like it says… new to Garmin.

any tips on

software loads to use ‘ avoid?

touch or buttons pref for head units?
    what head unit to avoid because it’s harder to add things to later?
    2017 Lund alaskan 1800 Side Console 90hp, Lvl 2. Merc mon
    Ultrex iPilot Link, Console Solix Mega 12SI, Bow Helix 12 SI/DI GPS bow, and humminbird 360 / SI on bow..

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Dont mix them cause you wont be able to network.....either get GPSmap units or Echomap. If you want to record your screen for fish catching then the only route is the GPSmap series......people will give you settings but those may not always be best for you.....its typically pretty good out the box but may have a few tweaks here and there....i like and used to Touchscreen so thats my choice. Right now the Echomap Plus and Ultra units are only touch screen, GPSmap series have both touch and button. The current button units do NOT have UHD built into unit but can use the GCV20 box to get UHD frequencies.

Transducers: before buying figure out how you plan on mounting the rear ducer which mean could be a different ducer setup.

Software: if you are getting new, more than likely it will have the newest or close to newest software, at that point, you can update.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I didn’t realize that the black boxes had different freq’s..

thanks
    2017 Lund alaskan 1800 Side Console 90hp, Lvl 2. Merc mon
    Ultrex iPilot Link, Console Solix Mega 12SI, Bow Helix 12 SI/DI GPS bow, and humminbird 360 / SI on bow..

4. Member
    Agree with Couillon, besides general budget, the GPSMap line offers screen recording of livescope. The echomap UHD or Ultra units do not. This is a feature not easily found in Garmin information. I have echomaps and have to use a standalone camera, usually gopro or phone, to record and the screen glare is hard to work around. Didn't' realize this until I had the units.

IF you are going to have multiple head units, go either GPSMap or Echomap, don't mix and match as they don't network together. Echomaps network to echomaps only, GPSMap to GPSMap.

Current software versions seems to work pretty well for most folks.

5. Member
    my tip would be to buy all of the parts individually vs buying a bundle...I saved a ton of $ buying the pieces individually on different websites.
    2013 Skeeter MX1825 with Yammy F150 & Garmin Ultra 106sv & LVS34 Livescope

"My hotfoot pedal goes to 11"

6. Member
    I started out with a 93sv plus w/ Livescope and used that setup for a year. Shortly after my purchase I was already wishing that I had other features. For me it was a larger screen and a unit that had the helm feature that allows you to record your screen views directly to a phone or tablet using Active Captain App. Based on those 2 features that put my choices in the GPSmap line. I recently purchased the GPSmap 1242XSV and it is great. The best advise that I can give is to buy what fits your budget and buy what you want to start. Bigger is better
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap