Question Garmin Wiring Harness - SonarPros Question??

Good afternoon. I am installing the Livescope on my Skeeter and had a question for all of you users out there. Have any of you used the SonarPros dedicated wiring harnesses for power to your box and Garmin unit? Seem a little pricey, but wondering if the images are any clearer with them. Thank you in advance.

A dedicated wiring harness for Livescope is a great product. However if you have the proper tools and skill set you can build your own harness a lot cheaper.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

3. Member
    ….OR just order what you need (dedicated good quality wire with good terminals) from somewhere like Greg’s Marine Wire Supply where NO tools or skills are needed. And huge savings to boot.

4. Banned
    If you can't do the work find someone to install a dedicated fuse box and wire everything from there. If you ever have a fuse issue they won't be buried in the boat somewhere like they are on the built wire harnesses.

The guy that does my work has done a few hundred boats over the years and not a single person has reported power problems to him. Every year he his customers bring him brand new boats to rig, they are that happy with the outcome.

There is less expensive alternatives however with the Sonar Pro harness its simply plug and play. There is no splices to be made because you have factory plugs solder and heat shrink onto the harness. It is a high quality harness that is extremely convenient to install. In no way am I implying other methods will not achieve the results you looking for I am simply saying the extra cost in my opinion is for the attention to detail they put into building the harness and a harness that's simply plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    If you can't do the work find someone to install a dedicated fuse box and wire everything from there. If you ever have a fuse issue they won't be buried in the boat somewhere like they are on the built wire harnesses.

The guy that does my work has done a few hundred boats over the years and not a single person has reported power problems to him. Every year he his customers bring him brand new boats to rig, they are that happy with the outcome.
    Thank you. Do you have his business information?

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I don't know how other wire harness are because I only have experience with the Sonar Pro harness. If you look at the picture I posted you can see the fuse is located at the end of the red wire. That red wire attaches to a disconnect in the bilge. The statement of fuses being buried with a wire harness has me confused because mine is right at the very end of the harness where it attaches to a disconnect in the bilge, which happens to be an easy access area. I don't know how other wire harness do it but most everything I ever wired in a boat recommends the fuse to be located close to the battery. This way if there is a problem you blow the fuse in the first few inches of the wire. If the fuse is located several feet away from the battery that's a lot of wire that can get hot before it reaches the fuse to blow.

Now regarding a fuse block I do use one. I installed one in my bilge and have two talons, two older Lowrance and one older Humminbird wired to it. The reason I wired my older units to it and I did not wire my Garmin Livescope to it is because the livescope has a higher amp draw and requires bigger wire size than the other devices I mentioned. Now in no way am I saying wiring one to a fuse block will not work. I am simply saying having it separate on its own dedicated system with appropriate size wire and not sharing power with other devices the alternative I chose...kind of like pulling a 21 ft bass boat with a ton truck. You can do it with a 1/2 ton but the ton is more efficient. Well that's kind of the same principle with a dedicated wire harness.

Quote Originally Posted by jhbassman1 View Post
    What area are you located in. There is multiple places that will do custom wiring...either a harness or fuse block.

Oh and I just now realized I never answer your original question in post#1...yes with a Sonar Pro harness you image is crystal clear. This is due to the voltage supply being isolated and not sharing power and the wire being the correct size to carry the load.
    Last edited by JR19; 06-19-2021 at 02:22 PM.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbassman1 View Post
    PM sent

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I don't know how other wire harness are because I only have experience with the Sonar Pro harness. If you look at the picture I posted you can see the fuse is located at the end of the red wire. That red wire attaches to a disconnect in the bilge. The statement of fuses being buried with a wire harness has me confused because mine is right at the very end of the harness where it attaches to a disconnect in the bilge, which happens to be an easy access area. I don't know how other wire harness do it but most everything I ever wired in a boat recommends the fuse to be located close to the battery. This way if there is a problem you blow the fuse in the first few inches of the wire. If the fuse is located several feet away from the battery that's a lot of wire that can get hot before it reaches the fuse to blow.

Now regarding a fuse block I do use one. I installed one in my bilge and have two talons, two older Lowrance and one older Humminbird wired to it. The reason I wired my older units to it and I did not wire my Garmin Livescope to it is because the livescope has a higher amp draw and requires bigger wire size than the other devices I mentioned. Now in no way am I saying wiring one to a fuse block will not work. I am simply saying having it separate on its own dedicated system with appropriate size wire and not sharing power with other devices the alternative I chose...kind of like pulling a 21 ft bass boat with a ton truck. You can do it with a 1/2 ton but the ton is more efficient. Well that's kind of the same principle with a dedicated wire harness.

What area are you located in. There is multiple places that will do custom wiring...either a harness or fuse block.

Oh and I just now realized I never answer your original question in post#1...yes with a Sonar Pro harness you image is crystal clear. This is due to the voltage supply being isolated and not sharing power and the wire being the correct size to carry the load.
    Is that one harness for one product or is that the folks that add up the amps from all devices connected and put in one fuse??? Either way it's not the best way to handle the situation IMO.

You are correct as to why the images may be better with these harness. One of these companies is now claiming that they also make your battery last much longer ....... lol

10. Member
    I’m using a wiring kit from BFE. They are definitely worth the money. No interference or power issues when set up properly.
    https://www.bassfishinelectronics.co...ons/electrical
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS