mikesxpress

Thread update to use your Motormate for 4 strokes. *You can buy it direct Motormate

Use your Otpi Motormate and save a few $.
    Based on my experience Motormate is going to have an impossible task of securing these V8 engines like they did with the Opti's. There is just no good way to utilize the existing format to hold the engine up and stabilize the side to side movement with one device. But being as many of us already have the Motormate I elected to utilize it with my mods and Gatorlocks.

http://gatorbak.com/gator-lock

Remove the plastic inserts on the Motormate. It takes a vise/pipe wrench/etc to almost destroy them to get them out. The pipe end is 1" OD & 7/8" ID. Shown is my temporarily installed plastic caps that fit that were replaced with black HD solid silicone metal furniture leg plugs. The Motormate now goes into the 2nd hole vs the 3rd hole in on the engine bracket to get the same ground distance as with the Opti. The capped end fits snuggly on the rear engine support trapped inside on the flat as shown in the picture. I have now trailered with this setup for 3 years of road time and it works fine. This also eliminates previous concerns about trim cylinder seal damages associated with the use of sticks/pipes as well as SeaStar seal damage associated with the use of the hard plastic clips that break when it's cold or whenever they feel like it.

I pitched this to Motormate a couple years back at the ICAST show and they could have just used the flat ends they currently use for the Evinrude support.

*It appears that after 3+ years that Motormate has finally adopted my solution using the flat ends and Gatorlocks. They did a release for the 4 stroke Motormate at the classic and added a pic on there <Face>book page showing it with the Gatorlocks. Now it's on the website for sale.

https://motormateusa.com/product/mot...300hp-engines/
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-15-2021 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Face

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mike: Since you've got this post put together quite nicely, I went ahead and replaced the link in the FAQ (removing your 2018 post, and replacing it with this one).

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    the tote-rite str8 works well on my 300 v8 and no need for steering clips just another alternative

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. I might have to try this. The 4S market has been underserved and for some reason the mfrs that are making 4s are skipping the smaller and early models.
    2018 Ranger 1880 MS
    200 Verado L4
    Solix 12 SI G1
    XNT 14 HWT dual spectrum 2D on Y cable
    Ulterra 112 Ipilot Link
    AS GPS HS
    Ionic lithium batteries 3)100 1)125 installed 6/20
    MK460PC on board charger
    Stealth 1 DC lithium so-so about 6 amps per battery

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Diesel Pro- you should be able to utilize any of the units designed for the V8 models (or the Motormate version with modifications).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. mikesxpress
    My 3 year old Motormate modification for the 4 stroke now for sale by Motormate.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    My 3 year old Motormate modification for the 4 stroke now for sale by Motormate.

Just looks cheaply made compared to DD26
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

8. Member
    DD26 has no clue.

Russel Marine says: I’m sorry our transom saver does not work with the verado.

Jon Morse
    RMP Sales Team
    316-313-4113 ext. 407

Motor mate says

Fits Mercury 4-Stroke, Sea Pro and Pro XS Motors from 75–115hp and 175–300hp

Excludes Mercury 150hp and Mercury Verado Series

I guess if anyone should know it would be you Don. I've been running the Universal MY Wedge on top of the main shaft, but it compresses and bulges.
    2018 Ranger 1880 MS
    200 Verado L4
    Solix 12 SI G1
    Ulterra 112 Ipilot Link
    AS GPS HS
    MK460PC on board charger

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The DD-26 and the MotorMate shown above will NOT work on the Verado-Series (L6, V6 or V8 Verado models).

10. Member
    So what I am sensing is the L4 Verado is being omitted incorrectly by an engineering and/or marketing dept that needs to do their homework.

I went to the storage unit to measure and near as I can figure the width of the stationary frame is just over 7.5 maybe 7-5/8"

My twin rams are approx 4-7/8" center to center.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 08-02-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    2018 Ranger 1880 MS
    200 Verado L4
    Solix 12 SI G1
    Ulterra 112 Ipilot Link
    AS GPS HS
    MK460PC on board charger

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
    So what I am sensing is the L4 Verado is being omitted incorrectly by an engineering and/or marketing dept that needs to do their homework.

I went to the storage unit to measure and near as I can figure the width of the stationary frame is just over 7.5 maybe 7-5/8"

My twin rams are approx 4-7/8" center to center.
    The swivel bracket assembly used on the L4 Verado is very similar (nearly identical) to the 3L Optimax swivel bracket. For practical purposes, most support that fits into the 3L Transom Bracket (Optimax) will fit into the L4 Verado Transom Bracket as well.

That's a one and only series of Verado models that DON'T have the AMS (Advanced Mid Section). It's going to take folks a while to realize how wide the VERADO line really has become (literally have had models from an L4-150hp Verado, all the way up to a V-12 600hp now).

Hope that helps to explain things...

12. Member
    After serious consideration I think I'm going to go with the Motor Mate. It was tough to decide. RMP has best rubber cushion, but far from the best finish, material, and weld quality. DD26 is overall well built, but price is high, rubber so-so and length is fixed. Motor Mate is just minimalistic, simple design and STAINLESS made in USA! If I need to shorten the length due to my limited tilt potential I should be able trim a bit. If I have issues I'll probably go with the DD26

Also MM has a nice dimension page. While it does not show #10-225-SS the idea is there and the one dimension is listed with the unit

https://motormateusa.com/select-your-motormate/
    2018 Ranger 1880 MS
    200 Verado L4
    Solix 12 SI G1
    Ulterra 112 Ipilot Link
    AS GPS HS
    MK460PC on board charger

13. Member
    Motor Mate 10-225-SS arrived earlier than expected. Fit is very good on my 2018 200 L4 verado. A bit close on clearance to the 2 stub rams but hey its solid and so long as it proves durable it should do well. I would like to run it one hole down, but it's just too close for comfort on the stubs. Sorry the motor and boat are pretty grimy right now but i just did not have time to wash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Ranger 1880 MS
    200 Verado L4
    Solix 12 SI G1
    Ulterra 112 Ipilot Link
    AS GPS HS
    MK460PC on board charger