Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDozer66 View Post
    Yeah 2 x 4 studs used to be less than $3.00 and they are close to $8.00 here now.

Someone said they were $9.00 but I think they were 8 something and just said $9.00.
    just shy of $12 2x4x8 Doug fir here in New England. PT was cheaper at $9

2. Member
    March 2020 started my barndominium 2x4 studs 1.98 pc. Finished building November 2020 and ready to start on inside walls, studs 7.98

I'm living in my 5th wheel waiting for the prices to come down.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

3. Banned
    When it drops big builders will buy big and drive the cost right back up.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbob View Post
    March 2020 started my barndominium 2x4 studs 1.98 pc. Finished building November 2020 and ready to start on inside walls, studs 7.98

I'm living in my 5th wheel waiting for the prices to come down.
    I have a stupid question.....Why can't interior walls for homes be built with metal studs like in buildings? Are they cheaper?

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    I have a stupid question.....Why can't interior walls for homes be built with metal studs like in buildings? Are they cheaper?
    Some walls are load bearing unlike commercial buildings.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Some walls are load bearing unlike commercial buildings.
    We use load bearing steel studs on many of our projects. The issue is crew familiarity with the product. Most housing contractors simply don't have experience or knowhow to use loadbearing steel stud wall systems.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    We use load bearing steel studs on many of our projects. The issue is crew familiarity with the product. Most housing contractors simply don't have experience or knowhow to use loadbearing steel stud wall systems.
    Probably to much of a hassle mixing materials on residential projects. Interior walls vs exterior, running electrical, plumbing hvac etc. In steel vs stick frame.

8. Member
    Do not want to get banned. I will only say this. The reason prices are going up is called retaliation..... Black gold.

It's price gouging anyhow. No reason for it to be as high as it is.
    Darrall Dougherty

I’m starting to lose jobs due to deck materials being so high. A lot of people are still paying but some have gotten cold feet on my waiting list. I can’t guarantee a price until the material is ordered and payed for. I had one package go up over $700 in one week from contract to materials arriving and I can’t keep eating that. I hope it starts going back down.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    Ok here is the deal, I build houses for a living for 30 years. Prices being high hasn’t stopped anything, I’m actually busier now then I’ve ever been because of the low interest rates, along with all the money the government has been pumping out it has turned into a frenzy. Most people are building and buying creating a shortage. I started 5 houses this month and haven’t even had the time to sit down and price the new ones that just came in. I think I’m about a year or so things will start to slow down but as far as lumber it also depends on how bad of a hurricane season we get this year because it takes away from the supply. I was hoping for five more years like this then I would live out my days on the lake but I don’t think it’s going to stretch that far.
    The big money your making and saving won’t be. Worth but have if what it is when you make it if things keep going like they are

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrocket1 View Post
    The big money your making and saving won’t be. Worth but have if what it is when you make it if things keep going like they are
    Yeah but everybody else will be in same boat so why am I any different, I will come out of it with no debt so that’s good for me

13. Member
    Ok here is the deal, I build houses for a living for 30 years. Prices being high hasn’t stopped anything, I’m actually busier now then I’ve ever been because of the low interest rates, along with all the money the government has been pumping out it has turned into a frenzy. Most people are building and buying creating a shortage. I started 5 houses this month and haven’t even had the time to sit down and price the new ones that just came in. I think I’m about a year or so things will start to slow down but as far as lumber it also depends on how bad of a hurricane season we get this year because it takes away from the supply. I was hoping for five more years like this then I would live out my days on the lake but I don’t think it’s going to stretch that far.

people don’t secure loans and home plans overnight…. Your customers were probably already committed to building when the prices went up….. I’d bet if lumber prices stay up, your business may slow a bit…

but then again, people that don’t build stuff have no idea what lumber costs.. they just want the nice shiny new house and are more concerned with what colors to paint the walls, what kind of floors, and how big of a flat screen TV they’re gonna put in the living room…

I sell timber for a living aka a forester. Hardwood lumber prices are the highest I've ever seen. Poplar FAS is $1.21 bd/ft, black walnut is $3.69, white oak $2.60, soft maple is $1.54. Just for reference January 2020 prices for poplar was $0.78 bd/ft. Good time to sell timber if you have any and have been waiting for a sellers market.

I appraised some last fall for $30K, sold it last week for $78K.

15. Banned
    Yeah but everybody else will be in same boat so why am I any different, I will come out of it with no debt so that’s good for me
    I may get banned or run outta town or even worse by saying this but....... if crude oil prices don’t go thru the roof and interest rates don’t go way up we in for a world of hurt

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrocket1 View Post
    I may get banned or run outta town or even worse by saying this but....... if crude oil prices don’t go thru the roof and interest rates don’t go way up we in for a world of hurt
    So world of hurt then. Fed says they won't raise rates until 2023 and you know what's up with oil.

I’m sorry, but I have ZERO (0%) faith that the lumber manufacturers and distributors will do a damn thing to lower lumber prices voluntarily.
    There was little reason to inflate prices the way they did. It is/was price gouging in it’s purest form. I’m sure a great number of our so-called “leaders” profited handsomely from the little price bump by turning the other cheek.
    I have even less faith that a single one of them will do a damn to address the issue.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

18. Member
    What makes any of you think prices will dramatically lower? Simply take a good look at the supply structure of wood based products. OSB and plywood now being imported......otherwise the prices would be higher. We simply can’t support the US infrastructure......no labor.

19. Member
    Futures pricing has dropped but sentiment from large national home builders is pricing will not fall much until mid to late 2022

20. Member
    My nephew works for a lumber mill in NC. He says they can't keep lumber in the yard. As soon as it comes out of the kilns it's on a truck going somewhere. Their forecasting gurus say late third, mid 4th quarter before things begin to look more normal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast