2008 Nitro 750 Purchase

Good morning,

I’ve been reading your posts for almost a year now. I need a bit of help on a potential purchase.

Looking at a 2008 Nitro SC with a Merc Optimax 115. Ridiculous number of electrical upgrades. I’m trying to find out what you guys think of this boat. It’s for my son and I. We might do some tourneys but nothing serious. Don’t think I need something screaming at 78mph, although it would be cool! I was also looking at a Stratos 200 Pro XL. But I’m trying to get your opinion on the Nitro. It will fit in my garage unlike the Stratos as well. The Stratos has many positive attribute, but I don’t know much about Nittos. Please give me your thoughts and opinions. Thanks so much for sharing your opinions guys!

Rob

Basically it comes down to value, take the retail of all the electronics and divide by half. Ally to the price of the boat and see if there is value in the boat/motor/trailer.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Not worried about price…I feel comfortable with it. I am asking about knowledge of the boat.

I had a Nitro NX750 for many years. It originally had a 115 inline 4cyl and I hated that motor. I replaced it with a 135 Optimax and it was an awesome boat. It would 63-64 but chine walked bad. When that one blew, the 135 was no longer made so I had to replace it with a 115 Optimax. It was a good combo once on plane but it was sloooow to get there. I tried several Trophy and Laser props. I am sure there was a better one but I never found it.

Random notes from my experience. It has a wood transom. I had mine rebuilt after the 135. It did not necessarily need it but the time was right. Livewell is pretty good but does get hot. Make sure you use ice and additives, maybe add VT2 vents. A 24v TM is perfect for the boat. The ride in rough water is just OK. It does pound pretty hard but will get you there. It has a large gas tank for that sized boat and with a 115 Optimax will go forever! IIRC, the oil tank does not hold enough to last the whole tank of fuel so bring extra. I replaced the middle seat with a homemade carpeted step. It was a big improvement for the angler fishing out of the back. It was a VERY easy boat to run wires either forward or back. It was common to have the top cap screws to back out. Keep an eye on them.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 06-15-2021 at 10:50 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    06 SB

Thanks…pretty helpful insight! It has a Minn Kota Ultrex 80 TM, Humminbird 12” screen on bow, and 2 Lowrance on drivers console, and 1 power pole. Hydraulic steering recently added and a brand new hot foot. Funny you mention the seat…the owner just replaced both seats and built a center console with step and cup holders.

So I guess I need to ask, were you happy or not with it? Great to know about the cap screws, thanks!

I was for what the boat is designed to do. It is not a big tournament boat but is a good one for its era. Having livewell pump out is really nice. I had it for a lot of years and gave it to my son when he got a full-ride scholarship for college. He even fished a few college tournaments with it.

My frustration came from Tracker Marine and replacement parts even though they were still building the NX750! Also, trying to get information out of their CS when trying rebuild the transom. It is the main reason I did not buy another Nitro.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

7. Member
    06 SB…I saw an old post of your Nitro 750 in regards to the transom. I now you got it repaired, but was it the wood in the transom or due to the log?

Did Nitro still use wood in the ‘08 Nitro 750?

I honestly do not know. Insurance ended up paying for it but it could have been a manufacturer defect as well. The transom wood was not rotten at all but had a horizontal crack on the port side that went about to the center of the transom. It was flexing on that side and hitting the log either made it fail or accelerated the failure. It was a frustrating ordeal, between insurance trying to use any excuse to deny the claim to getting NO information or help out of Tracker Marine.

All NX750s have wood in the transom and stringers.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal