Thread: Minn Kota issue

Minn Kota issue

Hi, I had a 45lbs Minn Kota motor with Power Drive foot pedal, the propeller did spin, left and right turn working.
    I disassembled the motor, and measure the voltage between the brushes, it shows about 12.5v, so I assume the food pedal working, and I measured the resistance between two coppers, the value is the same, the springs look fine, so I assume the armature is working.
    I heard most of issue will come from the brushes, but I only find the brush become a little bit curve instead of flat, is it the issue? any thought?

peter

IMG_20210613_181836.jpg

IMG_20210613_181924.jpg
    wx_camera_1623677907446.jpg

IMG_20210615_105441.jpg

2. Member
    They are designed that way. Your brushes are curved so that they will have max surface touching the communicator.
    So what issues is it that you have?

The Brushes should be curved so they make full contact with the Armature. They look good, make sure the spring is good and will push them against the Armature. The Armature looks a bit dirty, you can clean it using emery cloth. Use it to just make it "Shiny" again. But what lead you to tear it down ??
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    The issue is the propeller didn't spin, and turning left and right both working.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    The Brushes should be curved so they make full contact with the Armature. They look good, make sure the spring is good and will push them against the Armature. The Armature looks a bit dirty, you can clean it using emery cloth. Use it to just make it "Shiny" again. But what lead you to tear it down ??
    I'll try to clean the armature and try it again.

Thanks.

peter

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by laopi View Post
    The issue is the propeller didn't spin, and turning left and right both working.
    Well you did not say that in the opening post. Put back together and apply 12 volts to the motor wires in the head. It should spin. If it don't then you have a bad board. Make sure the wires that connect to the brush card in the motor are not broken before you put it back together.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Well you did not say that in the opening post. Put back together and apply 12 volts to the motor wires in the head. It should spin. If it don't then you have a bad board. Make sure the wires that connect to the brush card in the motor are not broken before you put it back together.
    I measure the voltage of two brushes, it's about 12.5, so I assume the foot pedal is working, I don't have a good way to apply 12 v to the motor directly.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by laopi View Post
    I measure the voltage of two brushes, it's about 12.5, so I assume the foot pedal is working, I don't have a good way to apply 12 v to the motor directly.
    I understand that you have 12.5 volts at the brushes. That just tell you that voltage is present. It does not tell you if the motor will run on it's own with out the board.
    Just make you a couple of jumper wires with alligator clips and just try to hook 12 volts directly to the motor wires. this will at least confirm the board or the motor has an issue.
    That 12 volts at the motor brushes could go to zero once a load is applied which would point the problem at the board, or the battery or any of the connections there in.
    Unless you attempt to do all the above you could end up spending money on parts that are not the problem.