Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ford Explorer Towing

Looking for reviews from people towing with a Ford Explorer I4 turbo. Thinking about trading my f150 in. Need to downsize some payments. The one I’m looking at has a trailer tow package. I4 turbo 300 Hp 5000lb tow cap.
    My boat package is 2750-2900lbs with hydraulic brakes.

2. Member
    I pull my boat all over with a Chevy traverse. Works fine. Similar tow rating and weight as yours.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

3. Member
    Test drove it today and was very impressed.
    We are waiting to close the deal.
    I was impressed with my F150 2.7L Eco boost and this suv is really nice.
    This SUV will get the job done and save me $50 a month payment. Save on gas and insurance too.

4. Member
    Fishing partner bought one, gets 9 mpg towing his 20’ ranger. With a 16 gallon tank the range is weak.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bltnme View Post
    Fishing partner bought one, gets 9 mpg towing his 20’ ranger. With a 16 gallon tank the range is weak.
    I think a 20 foot Ranger is past it’s towing capacity of 5000 lbs. I’m only at 60% if it’s towing capacity which is perfect for highway driving and safety.

6. Member
    You will have no issues at all. I used my parents old 2008 Ford Explorer to tow my boat all over the place and they now use it to tow a 24’ pontoon boat. I don’t see the need for a full size truck to tow a 3000-3500lb boat
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    We had a 99 Ford Explorer that we used to pull a 24 foot bay boat with. Granted the gas mileage sucked it was around 9mpg but it worked. I believe it had a v8 in it so it had plenty of power. I would say it was not an ideal tow rig but it worked for what we had.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    You will have no issues at all. I used my parents old 2008 Ford Explorer to tow my boat all over the place and they now use it to tow a 24’ pontoon boat. I don’t see the need for a full size truck to tow a 3000-3500lb boat
    I think so too. I really don’t do long term towing. Most lakes are 20 minutes - 2 hrs away, My fishing has dropped off to 4-6 times per month. If I ran long trips a lot I’d keep the truck, but for my towing needs this SUV should do the job.

9. Member
    I talked to a guy at the ramp last summer that had the AWD V6 and he was pulling a 24ft Baja with a big-block I/O, all the way from Iowa to the Lake of the Ozarks! He actually passed me on the highway going home running about 75MPH. I can't imagine the lifespan of that vehicle being very high.

10. Member
    We have both vehicles and I was able to tow the boat no problem. Now with that said, I have a smaller Ranger Z117 and the Explorer was an ST with the tow package. There is definitely a difference between the Explorer and the F150 only because I didn't even know the boat was back there with the F150 and you will feel it back there with the Explorer. The other thing that took some getting used to is in the rear view mirror, it looks like the trolling motor is going to come through the back window. It just looks SOOO close.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Weren’t the older explorers body on frame and the new ones are unibody? I could be wrong, but that would definitely make a difference towing.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Weren’t the older explorers body on frame and the new ones are unibody? I could be wrong, but that would definitely make a difference towing.
    I think so, regardless a newer explorer has a 5000lb tow capacity and will be able to tow a sub 3000lb without problems. Obviously a full size pickup will tow better, but a Ford Explorer is more than capable too and I’d have absolutely no hesitation to tow with it. I’ve used an older Jeep Cherokee before and that has a 5000lb capacity, still never had an issue. I know a few guys who tow with escapes, Ford edges, wranglers, and An equinox. They haven’t had any problems either but their boats are about 2500lbs.

I now tow with a 2014 Dodge Durango v6 which has a 6200lb capacity and my boat weighs right around 3500lbs. I have absolutely no issue pulling or stopping, get 16-18mpg towing and it’s been a great tow vehicle.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    You're correct. Don't remember when they changed from body of frame to unibody but they did.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

I had a 2006 Explorer.

I now have a 2015 F150.

I have a Triton TR-185 with a single axle. The f150 has zero issues getting up to speed and stopping both are equally important.

The explorer had no acceleration with the trailer and was not good stopping. I intentionally got the f150 because of this.

They both do the job but I will always go for the safer option towing and a 1/2 ton + pickup designed for towing is that while the explorer is not.

To each their own.

15. Member
    Again. It’ll be fine. I just did a 6 hour there and back trip with the traverse. No issues. 17 mpg average.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juhealy View Post
    We have both vehicles and I was able to tow the boat no problem. Now with that said, I have a smaller Ranger Z117 and the Explorer was an ST with the tow package. There is definitely a difference between the Explorer and the F150 only because I didn't even know the boat was back there with the F150 and you will feel it back there with the Explorer. The other thing that took some getting used to is in the rear view mirror, it looks like the trolling motor is going to come through the back window. It just looks SOOO close.

Good to hear. My Triton x18 will be very similar in towing to your z117.

17. Member
    Tow an 18ft barge with a 2014 V6 FWD. only thing I don’t like is pulling out I always spin a little. Other than that it gets great mileage and pulls wonderful.

18. Member
    Did the 1000 mile break in before towing.
    Went fishing today. Pulled the boat 130 miles round trip. It towed great. The only difference in seat feel from the F150 is you know the boat is back there. My mpg was 18.1 at 70 mph. My F150 averaged 18.3 the 3 years I had it. Very impressed with this SUV. I never would have imagined towing a boat with a 4 cylinder engine. Amazing how technology has evolved.

19. Member
    The problem I had with my old explorer not so much pulling it was the brakes. Pulled a 19 Ft F-S...

Quote Originally Posted by E-rude_Dude View Post
    Did the 1000 mile break in before towing.
    Went fishing today. Pulled the boat 130 miles round trip. It towed great. The only difference in seat feel from the F150 is you know the boat is back there. My mpg was 18.1 at 70 mph. My F150 averaged 18.3 the 3 years I had it. Very impressed with this SUV. I never would have imagined towing a boat with a 4 cylinder engine. Amazing how technology has evolved.

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger that I tow my Tracker Grizzly 1860 with. You are correct, it is crazy what you can tow now with a 4 cyl vehicle. The Turbo and and 10 speed trans definately helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast