How much distilled water to top off battery?

I've seen videos of some people taking off the caps on their batteries and just dumping it in to top it off and other people just putting a small amount in the bottom. How do you know how much to put in the battery for it to be considered properly filled. I know there's a ton of YouTube videos but trying to see what the majority are doing vs 1 person who may or may not on YouTube. If you have a link to a video of the proper way I'd be interested in seeing that too.

Thanks
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    1/4” to 3/8” below the split tube is about right. Fill it more and it splashes out during charging and rough water running.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Tip- use a turkey baster to fill.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    I called a manufacturer and they said 1/8" from the top of the split tube regardless of brand of battery. I filled to approx 1/4" as 1/8 seemed to me like it would be more difficult to achieve and less breathing room. After fully charging the battery I added distilled water to that amount and it overflowed a bit durring the charging. Fortunately I had a syringe so I sucked the acid back out to be about 1/2" above the plate, which was closer to 3/4" down the split tube. that seemed to fix the overflowing. I guess with every manufacturer there is a different level that is classified as the "fill level".
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmada View Post
    I called a manufacturer and they said 1/8" from the top of the split tube regardless of brand of battery. I filled to approx 1/4" as 1/8 seemed to me like it would be more difficult to achieve and less breathing room. After fully charging the battery I added distilled water to that amount and it overflowed a bit durring the charging. Fortunately I had a syringe so I sucked the acid back out to be about 1/2" above the plate, which was closer to 3/4" down the split tube. that seemed to fix the overflowing. I guess with every manufacturer there is a different level that is classified as the "fill level".
    Generally bad to remove acid
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Generally bad to remove acid
    Didn't want any more spilling out the top, as it's in my garage, so I figured the only way to prevent it from continuing was to remove a small amount from it. From what I read it was bad if it over flows for multiple reasons but I knew it would still overflow a bit if I left it. It hadn't been charging for too long when I removed the excess so I am hoping the battery will still be ok. I added the water after full charge so I didn't think the level would rise much. As it stands, there's now a stain in the garage from where it overflowed so im glad I caught it when I did.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...