1998 70 hp Evinrude runs rough

Haven't had this motor long-- bought a family pontoon boat for fishing --compression 120 all cylinders---runs GOOD on full throttle-- cuts off in reverse or low throttle-- have run 20 gallons of ethanol free gas with SeaFoam -- I have rebuilt carbs on my chainsaw but never worked on a boat engine shops here are all backed up busy--- any thoughts appreciated --

2. Member
    Used boat. Start with the battery and connections. Make sure battery has required CA for that motor. ( dealers and owners have been known to get cheap with batteries). 23 year old boat, check fuel lines and filters. Might want to try and turn up idle speed a bit. Carb cleaning should be a winter project. Not mid june. Eth free gas and seafoam, keep up!! The fact it's running good wide open is good!! Quality oil, I used royal purple 2 stroke. My mid 90 s evinurudes could be very cranky in hot weather. " heat soak".
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Might want to try and turn up idle speed a bit.
    Negative. Find out why it wont run right first before turning screws especially if you have no knowledge of outboards and and get a real OMC manual for your motor.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Member
    Okay got it to a reputable 2 stroke mechanic---he called today--says the problem is a dying VRO--needs to be replaced or bypassed with a kit. Does that sound like a reasonable suggestion for solving my motors problem? Thanks

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spotking View Post
    Okay got it to a reputable 2 stroke mechanic---he called today--says the problem is a dying VRO--needs to be replaced or bypassed with a kit. Does that sound like a reasonable suggestion for solving my motors problem? Thanks
    Good thing you didnt start turning screws. Sounds plausible. Glad he found your issue.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!