Thread: Nitro owners

Question Nitro owners

How do nitro's ride in rough water?

What years are you asking about?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    And which model. The longer they are the better they will handle the rough stuff. My Z18 does pretty good, in fact I would kind of surprised how well it handled some 2 plus footers but I'm not sure I would want to get it any bigger ones.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

I have been in some ridiculous conditions and never felt unsafe. That being said there is so many variables even down to the driver. It's hard for me to say because of that. Z8 5' waves with large spacing and 4'er with like 25' spacing. Minimal puckering haha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    The driver is more than the boat IMO. I've been in some knarly conditions in my z19, 5+ footers and was fine. really and truly, in the worst of conditions, all boats suck.

6. Member

Quote Originally Posted by wildkat7 View Post
    The driver is more than the boat IMO. I've been in some knarly conditions in my z19, 5+ footers and was fine. really and truly, in the worst of conditions, all boats suck.

I'd add that boats are boats and bass boats are not built for a great rough water ride. They just are not. There are no good riding ones when it gets wild. There are differences like hulls that slap more than other brands basically based on width. Or hulls prone to spearing a wave, short boats or older ones. Or boats that feel more one piece and solid than others. I won't say a nitro doesn't pound a little and vibrate but that technically isn't an issue
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    2021 z18

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I'd add that boats are boats and bass boats are not built for a great rough water ride. They just are not. There are no good riding ones when it gets wild. There are differences like hulls that slap more than other brands basically based on width. Or hulls prone to spearing a wave, short boats or older ones. Or boats that feel more one piece and solid than others. I won't say a nitro doesn't pound a little and vibrate but that technically isn't an issue
    Great reply in my opinion! Bass boats regardless of length are not that comfortable.

10. Member
    You really have to learn your boat. I have a z20 and my previous boat was a520 ranger. The ranger is heavier in the bow and the nitro lighter so of course I could not drive them the same in rough water. After spending some time getting bounced around I learned that the nitro will get on top of the waves better if you trim a little higher and produces a better ride. But it is time on the water finding what works best for your set up.

Quote Originally Posted by cg2fish View Post
    You really have to learn your boat. I have a z20 and my previous boat was a520 ranger. The ranger is heavier in the bow and the nitro lighter so of course I could not drive them the same in rough water. After spending some time getting bounced around I learned that the nitro will get on top of the waves better if you trim a little higher and produces a better ride. But it is time on the water finding what works best for your set up.
    Great advice!

Some guys think they have “X” brand that are known to handle the rough stuff so they just hammer down and go. All bass boat’s ride suck if you do that.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    Our 2020 Z19 does pretty well in 3-4 rollers. And if driven sensibly has a dry ride compared to other boats I have been in. Also define what rough water means to you.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI