Cracked Hull Update

I picked up my boat today. The crack was ground out and welded back. Now, the crack came out from under the keel guard, ran 12 or 14 inches next to the keel guard, back under the keel guard for 3 inches and back out for another 3 to 4 inches. So, under the keel guard was not welded and my guess is this, there is a crack under the keel guard and this boat is going to take on water this Thursday. I was told by the repair shop that if it still takes on water to take it back to BPS and they will need to do something different. That's all I have for now folks, i'll keep y'all in the loop.

2. Member
    I would be sure to take phone with camera to take photos and or video if possible.
    Also food for thought. I would also photo and video document this and if it works. If you can park boat on trailer someplace and take garden hose put a good amount of water in hull or bilge enough to get water over crack area. See if water leaks out of cracked area and repairs. If you need to crank the trailer down to get the water towards the bow.
    I would try after out on water test first. Like I said photo and video document it. Esp if it takes on water.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weez556 View Post
    I would be sure to take phone with camera to take photos and or video if possible.
    Also food for thought. I would also photo and video document this and if it works. If you can park boat on trailer someplace and take garden hose put a good amount of water in hull or bilge enough to get water over crack area. See if water leaks out of cracked area and repairs. If you need to crank the trailer down to get the water towards the bow.
    I would try after out on water test first. Like I said photo and video document it. Esp if it takes on water.
    Everything you said is exactly what I will be doing. Great minds think alike!!

4. Banned
    Are you positive the didn't remove the keel guard and then reinstall it after it was fixed. If it wasn't removed you will absolutely see some sign of visible damage on the keel guard from the heat

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman90 View Post
    Are you positive the didn't remove the keel guard and then reinstall it after it was fixed. If it wasn't removed you will absolutely see some sign of visible damage on the keel guard from the heat
    Keel guard was not removed. All he did was weld the crack that runs parallel to the keel guard.

6. Banned
    Ok it sounds to me like your talking of the extruded aluminum piece that actually makes up the keel. Not an aftermarket keel guard.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman90 View Post
    Ok it sounds to me like your talking of the extruded aluminum piece that actually makes up the keel. Not an aftermarket keel guard.
    Correct, not an aftermarket.

8. Member
    Back to Tracker we go. The repair was a bandaid. The shop gave me the impression that they washed their hands of it. The shop said if this doesn't fix it then Tracker needs to do something different. Well, it leaks worse now than it did before. The hull is cracked under the keel guard. It will take a lot of work to fix it and a two bit shop is not going to get it done. I have a video but I can't get it to post.

9. Member
    I hope they do the right thing for you. Give you a new rig is my idea of the right thing.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weez556 View Post
    I hope they do the right thing for you. Give you a new rig is my idea of the right thing.
    Going in on Monday, we shall see. Thanks

11. Member
    Just got back from BPS. A video of the leaking was sent to corporate. The shop that did the welding is saying that they can run a bead from the front of the bow to the end of the keel guard and back. The corporate office is going to make a decision (hopefully this week) on what to do. Now I sit and wait............again.

12. Banned
    Welding it solid would be the easiest option. Biggest concern is if theirs foam that far up on the inside of the hull

13. Member
    Weld it solid also will create a stress raiser. I would not let that be done.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Weld it solid also will create a stress raiser. I would not let that be done.
    I agree but I don't have much say so in this situation. I can voice my concerns but I'm up against a mountain. And, it's covered under warranty. I hope to hear something by the end of this week.

15. Banned
    Hopefully they fix it. And yes welding it solid could create a stress situation. What I would recommend is welding it to a few inches above the water line. I've been welding at a professional level for just south of 20 years. I've seen it all