Thread: Topwater and FC

Topwater and FC

What are some topwaters you can throw effectively on straight floro - 10-12lbs. Wakebaits? Buzzbaits?

2. Member
    I never use fluoro for topwater

I suppose you could throw a buzzbait on it as your line likely isn't touching the water anyhow, though I'd never throw one on 10-12 lb test. Wakebaits, yes, as they'll dive a bit anyhow, the fluoro just may make them dive a little deeper. I've actually thrown poppers on fluoro before to get them to dive down a bit. The fact that the bait itself floats limits how much the sinking fluoro affects things, and it's definitely a different action and sound than you'll get with mono or braid. You just don't want to try it in current (and current can be wind driven) as it'll make the bait look super unnatural.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    i throw on fluoro any topwater that doesn't need to sit in a spot for very long, so in other words mostly straight retrieve just keeping the rod up and start reeling as soon as it hits the water. works fine.

i don't like to throw any lures that you need to pause and let it sit, like a popper. Also i never throw dog walking lures on fluoro, it messes the action up big time.

5. Member
    Thanks guys, makes sense!

6. Member
    I saw a Jarret Edwards Outdoors with the founder of Nishine lures. He fished this prop bait wit fluoro and outfished JE handily. He says the fluoro helps the propbait generate an up and down action that works for him.
    Last edited by johnnybass; 06-26-2021 at 04:23 PM.

7. Member
    FC has no place with topwater.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    This
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Yep

10. Member
    When I fish team tournaments out of my partners boat I bring 5 rods. I can't afford to have one just dedicated to topwater and I don't care for braid to leader on a baitcaster. Anyway, my crankbait rod doubles as my topwater rod for those and I don't have any problem walking a topwater. Is mono better, sure but I still catch plenty of fish and really don't have any issues. IMO this subject is overblown.