Gen 1 TM Lower / Compatibility Question / OT819533 2004 250 Mercury Racing XS

Hi Team,

Looking for some advice from the pros: I've been looking for a Gen 1 TM lower for my 2004 Mercury 250 XS sitting on my 2005 Ranger 521 VX. I found someone willing to sell me one but now Mercury is telling me it's not compatible with my motor. The customer service rep doesn't know why it's not compatible but he can only go off serial numbers that show compatibility in his system. Specifically, this lower I found was from a 225 XS, not a 250, but I was told they are the same lower from reading up on the topic.

I had thought any Gen 1 TM in a 20 inch shaft and 1:75 gear ratio would work. Are there any techs/mechanics on this page that can offer me some insight and might know more about the Torquemaster lowers? I was advised on a different page that the only difference is a 2 piece shaft vs a 1 piece shaft but that otherwise it will work fine. Thougths?

My motor serial: OT819533
    Used Lower I found: 842739A 13

Thanks in advance for the response.
    Steve

2. Member
    will work, does it have small prop shaft /1in instead of 1.25
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have the information for the engine this gearcase came from?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I don't have any information on the engine other than it was a spare a pro used on his bass boat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Do you have the information for the engine this gearcase came from?
    Hi Don, the seller thinks it came off a 2010 250 Pro XS. But he's not 100% sure. The seller bought it many years ago as a backup and never used it.

6. Member
    I have a new in box , never installed , tm 1 lower available if what you have found wont work . Pm me with any questions.