Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Fluorocarbon line?

I have used Berkley big game mono as far as I can remember and never had issues with it. The past season I have been using Berkley vanish and I think all it is good at is making your catch vanish! I am only using it for leader material between 5-7ft long for inshore fishing, but I think that is what is causing my break offs. On the boat I switch to big game mono when a fluoro leader breaks off and I can't recall it ever breaking so I think it is the line.

Any recommendations for a good Fluoro leader material? Cost really isn't a factor since you are only using a couple of yards per reel. I actually switched to straight braid on my hard baits and for inshore species they don't seem to care, I can't do that with jigs, the line would get shredded in no time flat.

2. Member
    I absolutely hated flouro until I used Berkeley 100% flouro. Im a big game power user and it worked for me.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

Sniper for an all around good fluoro, Shooter for premium abrasion resistance. Shooter doesn't handle as well, but you probably don't care about that anyhow if you're only using it for leaders. If you don't want a big spool, Sunline FC Leader Material is similar to Shooter in toughness. It's more expensive per yard as it comes on a much smaller spool, but it's also a lot more manageable for leaders for that reason.

I used to love the Berkley 100% until I figured out the reason it's so tough is that it's so much thicker than other varieties. 8 lb Berkley 100% is the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb, and 17 lb Berkley 100% is the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar 25lb!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I use seguar invisx on most my BC's and like it is a good all around. Sniper for my drop shot rigs, or finesse set-ups. I've also used tatsu, it's a nice cast flouro, but pricey
    Last edited by Apex400; 06-18-2021 at 10:05 PM.

5. Member
    Another vote for Berkley 100% floro..

i used to be a big Seaguar fan but the invisx breaks way too easily (abrasion resistance sucks compared to other lines). They also jacked up the prices and i just think 100% floro is way better for the money. Just be aware that the line diameter of 100% floro is a little larger than say Sunline.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    p line and the bass pro shop brand is decent too

7. Member
    Sunline Sniper and Yo Zuri Top Knot are my two favorites

8. Member
    Sunline FC100 system leader. It’s made specifically to be used as leader material.

Of the four I tried (white box BPS, Seagaur Red Label and Sunline Sniper...I think I got the brands correct), I liked the Sniper best. Tatsu is VERY nice and pliable, but I'm not sure how tough it is. I know it's bloody expensive, and I've gone back to either straight Copolymer or braid with a leftover FC or Copolymer leader. Plenty good enough.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 06-19-2021 at 10:53 AM.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

10. Member
    I switched to Gamma Edge for leaders and have been pleased.

11. Member
    Tatsu , sunline sniper , or diawa j flouro
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

12. Member
    If you are just looking for leaders...use an actual leader material. It's way stronger than the castable lines marketed towards bass fisherman. I'm a huge Edge fan, and it's pretty much all I use...but it still isn't as good as an FC leader material.

If you were tying a long leader onto braid and storing 1/2 or more of it on a spinning reel, wouldn't it make sense to use FC line vs. FC leader material? Or does it work well enough?
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

14. Banned
    I'm a huge fan of sublime super. Affordable and strong

15. Member
    Hands down, Tatsu, if you want to pay the price.

16. Member
    I've been using Seaguar Invisx for quite a few years now, but recently tried LYN fluorocarbon and it's not bad, I'd also like to try the new Yo-Zuri T-7 line
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

17. Member
    Tatsu if cost is not a factor. But it is expensive.

I really like Seaguar Gold label but strictly for leader, of course that it what it is intended for. Small diameter compared to other lines at similar pound test. (I always look at diameter when comparing lines). Very manageable for tying braid to leader knots and I have been impressed with it's knot strength. Only disadvantage I see so far is that it is not cheap.

19. Member
    Tatsu is the best but costly, sunline sniper is my go to.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    If you are just looking for leaders...use an actual leader material. It's way stronger than the castable lines marketed towards bass fisherman. I'm a huge Edge fan, and it's pretty much all I use...but it still isn't as good as an FC leader material.
    This exactly!

Leader material has fundamental differences which are optimized for performance. The tensile strength (strength per diameter) and abrasion resistance are considerably better than conventional fluorocarbons. That said leader materials are also much stiffer (less manageable) which would make them less than ideal to fill a spool with. My testing (sufficient sample sizes) has identified that P-Line's Shinsei Fluorocarbon to be amongst the absolute best. Tensile strength and abrasion resistance are exceptional yet Shinsei maintains reasonable suppleness to ensure that lure action isn't negatively affected.

http://p-line.com/line/leader/shinsei

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast