RECESSED PEDAL INSTALL ON A TRITON

What are the pros and cons of installing a recessed tray for the trolling motor pedal? I've been told there is a support beam that would need to be cut out.

2. Member
    Which boat? I have a TR20 and I did not have any cross beams to cut. I came back about 4 inches from the bow panel and made my cuts. It is scary to cut a hole in your boat but it was fairly simple. Drew the template and used a jigsaw to cut. It’s over my front compartment so you need to seal is good. I ran the drain hose forward through the front end of the compartment so any water would drain in the bottom of the boat and not in the storage compartment.

3. Member
    Thank you for the info. I have a 2001 TR-21. I saw a video of an install on a Triton and they had to cut out a beam that went right up the middle. I don't know the year of the boat.

4. Member
    That’s why I came back about 4 inches from the bow panel. My beam ran across the front closer to the bow panel. Just check your front storage compartments for anything in the way.

5. Member
    Also taking a chance that the deck can start cracking under wear and vibrating..
    choice is up to you .. if you want a hole in the floor..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    Also taking a chance that the deck can start cracking under wear and vibrating..
    choice is up to you .. if you want a hole in the floor..
    I've done pretty well without the recessed pedal for about 50 years. Considering all the possible problems, I think I will keep doing as I've always done it.

7. Member
    I did my 97 tr21. No issues no cracks. When I bought my boat it didn't have the recessed pedal and after having a boat that was recessed it took a few trips and I was cutting one in. Recarpeted the boat a year later and no crack from where I cut the deck out.

8. Member
    I put one in a 2003 TR 19. I had to notch out a cross support. It worked fine. No issues