Thread: Rotted transom

Rotted transom

Well I picked up a 1987 Champion DC201 and realized after I bought it that it has a bad transom. I’m thinking real hard about using SeaCast to repair it and was hoping someone here has done this before. Would like to get as much info as I can on it before I pull the trigger. Any help would be appreciated. I’m going to repair it regardless, as I love the boat and want to bring it back.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I’m sure several folks here and in the Restoration forum can help you. Good luck!

I'm not the expert but you need to determine if the stringers are ok or not before springing on the transom repair. Lots of Champions that have been in the same condition as yours so there is plenty of information on it out there.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Maybe Matt Mosher will chime in. He had his old 202 done. It was heavily documented here on the boards a couple years ago. He made sure everything was done right.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

5. Member
    You need to do a more thorough investigation on it drill core samples and see what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    Maybe Matt Mosher will chime in. He had his old 202 done. It was heavily documented here on the boards a couple years ago. He made sure everything was done right.
    Yea, I would love to see that documentation/thread. Can’t seem to find it in the search.

7. Member

8. Member
    I started a thread that didn't get much traction but it's on my 190SX I'll see if I can find it. The short of the long from my experience (I am much more than happy with the product) is plan about 4 times longer than what you think to do the job. Call SeaCast and listen to them and do EXACTLY as they say. Do no attempt this above 85ish degree ambient temp unless you really know what you are doing and plan to make a huge mess. DO NOT skip any steps or half ass anything they tell you.

With that said you'll need a good 20" bar chain saw, some good wood chisels or 'scraper' about 20" long and a 1.25" wood screw type drill bit and a die grinder with a 20" extension with a 1.25" 35 grit flapper wheel helped a ton. You'll need some poly resin, glass matt and gel coat to finish the cap and make repairs to the inside.

20200725_113143.jpg20200605_085711.jpg20200909_000307.jpg

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer1 View Post
    Well I picked up a 1987 Champion DC201 and realized after I bought it that it has a bad transom. I’m thinking real hard about using SeaCast to repair it and was hoping someone here has done this before. Would like to get as much info as I can on it before I pull the trigger. Any help would be appreciated. I’m going to repair it regardless, as I love the boat and want to bring it back.
    Do it right, get it fixed properly is my opinion. Think about the safety of the transom you want and the confident you want that your family members and boating partners are 'safe' running in your boat with you... not just you but their saftey.

Don't go redneck. Fix it right and you will get your money back and more.....

Took it to the guy who is going to put a new transom in it. He said stringers were good, so that was good news. It’s going to cost $5,200 but I like the boat and I’m probably spending too much to bring it back but I’m going to do it. He warranties or guarantees the transom for the life of the boat and it’s the business he’s in and does this work daily. I’m not sure why but I’m determined to bring this boat back to its glory days. Something about the root beer color with gold flake and diamond stitch seating has me enamored with her. Probably dumb as hell but unless you all talk me out of it (and I’m good with that too), she will be refurbished better than new.

It's definitely not a stupid idea by any means. If you love the boat, then spend the money and get it fixed right. You will have piece of mind moving forward knowing that the transom is as good a new. The alternative is to spend even more money on something else, and then be back in the dark about what might fail or be bad on that one.

Boat ownership comes with spending $$$$ to keep things right. Don't ask me how I know...I own a 28 year old Champ with a 30 year old motor. It's not a matter of if somethings goes bad, it's when...
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

12. Member
    Been there myself! Dont regret doing it either. They put Coosa back in mine.