Forward gear engagement issue (2002 225 EFI 0T146490)

I recently pulled the powerhead to replace swivel pin/lower yoke and bushings on my 2002 225 efi (0T467078). All went well, except I'm having trouble properly reinstalling my shift cable to get full engagement into forward gear. I have the shift cable end guide centered properly via the service manual I am referencing, but when I go to center the anchor pin/slide between the forward and reverse resistance points, I only start to feel the resistance of the forward gear when the slide has almost reached the end of it's travel which doesn't allow for proper engagement into forward gear. The resistance point towards the reverse side is felt much closer to neutral, with excessive space for the slide to travel for engagement into reverse. Is there a way in which I can manipulate the shift shaft so that it will engage with forward gear closer to the neutral position? Or perhaps is this indicative that my forward gear is very worn down? I drained lower unit oil and there were some fine metal shavings attached to the magnetize drain plug from my failed forward engagement attempts, but nothing too appalling or abnormal I would say. Thanks very much for all input and tight lines
    Last edited by burgoffjd; 06-14-2021 at 11:44 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Take a picture of your linkage with the control in NEUTRAL. You may have mis-indexed the shift shaft coupler to the shift shaft (off by a tooth, for instance).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks very much for your IMG-1627.jpgassistance, Don. Here is a picture of the linkage in neutral. If I were to advance the control towards forward, the slide would be almost touching the end of the guide before resistance of the gear is felt.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just a reminder: You should NOT attempt to shift unless the engine is RUNNING, or the prop is SPINNING. Any attempt to shift while everything is stationary may result in damage to shift linkage, rod, or even gearcase.

The linkage (as pictured) is not quite at the neutral position (it's actually leaning toward the Forward gear side a bit). See Service Manual for instructions on adjusting the shift cable (properly).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Understood. No attempts at shifting have been made without the propshaft rotating in the proper direction. I now have the cable properly adjusted (pictured in neutral): IMG_1632.jpg
    I dropped the lower and checked the shift shaft coupler- everything seems to be aligning properly as far as I can tell. Now, however, when I attempt to center the anchor pin between forward/ reverse resistance points, I don't even feel forward gear before the slide reaches the end of its travel.

Here is where I feel the resistance of reverse: IMG_1633.jpg

But to the forward side the slide just goes to the end without resistance: IMG_1634.jpg

Not sure what I'm missing here...

Thanks again for your help, Don. I hope you have a good weekend.

Indexed wrong, bent linkage or damage inside the case
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Indexed wrong, bent linkage or damage inside the case
    +1

Place control in neutral, make sure cable adjustment is centered on the correct point (ie: free travel in either direction is IDENTICAL distance from proper neutral centerpoint).

REMOVE GEARCASE, place in NEUTRAL and reinstall.

8. Member
    Cable is centered perfectly as you described. Dropped lower and reinstalled per your instructions, but same result.

Without the slide, forward gear is felt here:IMG_1636.jpg

Just a little bit too far towards the forward side to engage...

Here is reverse again for reference:IMG_1637.jpg

Likely bent linkage as Leon suggested?

So, this problem started after you r&r'd the powerhead? Sounds like the upper shift rod isn't indexed correctly to the lower unit.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

I dont think it is far enough off to be indexing, which would leave bent linkage or damage inside the case as quite often happen to beginners first attempts.
    Be honest with yourself on the following question.
    On you first attempt was it off and you applied more than normal pressure trying to get it to shift or attempted to shift with out spinning the prop
    Did you have trouble getting the shift rod to go into the coupler at the lower unit or maybe tightened power head down with it miss aligned
    Trying to determine if it is linkage or inside the lower
    with the shift cable disconnected and motor running can you get to shift properly by using the shift arm and does it run out of travel in either direction
    When doing this on muffs be sure the prop stops spinning before engaging a a gear again, do not go directly from one direction to another
    I am leaning towards this being in the gear case
    Don has really been tied up lately but he or Joe may add more to this

Please do not be offended by the beginner statement, most have trouble getting this right their first time
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-19-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    No offense taken! I appreciate everyone’s time and effort in assisting me and I certainly identify as a beginner. Just trying to learn from my mistakes as I go with the help from you folks!

I’m quite sure the shift shaft is indexed properly.

I have not attempted to shift without the propshaft rotating or the motor running, HOWEVER I did initially severely overtighten the shift cable on to the pin/slide and attempted to shift which certainly could have put excessive pressure on the linkage enough to bend it slightly, which is what I suspect is the culprit.

The lower unit will lock right into forward gear if granted enough travel (with the slide removed and someone spinning the prop by hand). With the slide, it runs out of travel as pictured above and will just grind which I know to avoid doing as to not shave metal off of the gear.
    Last edited by burgoffjd; 06-20-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Lets try this another way, verify by looking at the coupler that it turns clockwise for forward as I recall. leave the cable attached and in forward position. Put a mark on the coupler for a reference. remove the lower unit and with a pair plyers while while turning the prop rotate the shift rod in both directions, does the play feel the same?
    Reinstall lower with everything in the forward position. Before installing look at the slide to be sure it all the way into the forward position.
    Does the problem reverse itself, forward gear ok and a problem with reverse. I think this will prove if indexing issue or not. When doing this by myself I have found it to be easier because I can rotate the prop for gear alignment when installing
    A friend of mine had the this same issue on his first attempt and called me for help. When I dropped the lower and manually shifted it was obvious that the problem was in the lower unit, If this is the case you will need to have it repaired by a tech that has the special tools required
    I am actually a Auto Tech but I am quite familiar with these motors as I have always performed all of my own work on them, Thru the years Don has been a wealth knowledge and assistance in helping me improve my skills set. Try to support European Marine for parts as Don has devoted thousand of hours for us for free as well as Joe and Savage
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    So, this problem started after you r&r'd the powerhead? Sounds like the upper shift rod isn't indexed correctly to the lower unit.
    ^^^^ I too suspect that this is precisely the problem.