Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Classic has lost some luster!

The Classic is still the biggest event in the game, without a doubt!!! However, I feel like it has lost some luster and there are a ton of reasons that could be blamed, with many quick to point the finger at the MLF split. The MLF split certainly is a factor however for me the number 1 place to point the finger is at BASS. A true championship is the culmination, the build up, the conclusion to a hard fought regular season. Even when it was moved to the late winter/early spring season, it still felt like the final event of the previous season, a conclusion. A new CHAMPION was crowned and then the next season got underway. Having a mid season Classic just doesn't allow for the build up. I personally hate the mid season classics and wish BASS would go back to giving this event the status it deserves. I personally don't really care if the Classic is in the late summer, the fall or the late winter/early spring. With literally months of options I just can't get on board with BASS having it in the middle of a new, unrelated, season. I understand that this year was unique do to the Covid postponement but had it gone off at the original date it still would have been after the start of the regular season, as has been the case for a few years now. Can you imagine the NFL playing the Super Bowl in October or MLB having the World Series in May? BASS is killing its only asset and they think we don't care, heck maybe "we" don't but I do.

2. Member
    You are the wind beneath your wings. Fly bold.

3. Member
    The opens get done in october and elites start in january. Not much time in between for the event. Classic is still the biggest event in bass fishing IMO.

The conclusion to a hard fought regular season is the AOY title. I think they need to bring back the top 50 AOY tournament as the final event that they did away with..
    Fish have fins, they swim

There were over 100,000 fans this past weekend that would disagree. Records crowds at launch, a packed Expo and a well attended weigh all on the heels of a still ongoing pandemic. I came away feeling like the Classic and BASS are as strong as ever.
    It felt great getting back to normal. There was a lot of excitement in the air and the Ckassic weekend was a blast. I woke up tired but also kinda bummed I did not have to go back to Expo today.

Everyone I talked to was having a blast this weekend. So many traveled from all over the country to be there. I bet at some point I met BASS fans from every state.

I think the combining and nitpicking are way more prevalent o
    here on BBC than out in the everyday world. Probanly over 100,000 people showed up. I don't think the Classic is getting killed off anytime soon.

The last decade or so the Classic happened 1 to 3 events into the year. This year was only later due to COVID.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 06-14-2021 at 09:53 AM.

5. Member
    I've been to the last 2 classics. They aren't killing anything, they have both had huge turnouts to the expos and the weigh ins every single day.

6. Member
    The outdoor expo (best in the business) has the ability to save an average fishing tourney, which is usually held at the wrong time of the year (at least lately). It should be held at the end of the current season in the same calendar year. If these guys are so good, have them fish sometime from early September to early October for the Classic championship.

Expo numbers don’t relate to classic numbers and excitement. People are at the expo for the baits and boats. And too see a few pros. If expo numbers directly related to classic excitement, then the launch and weigh ins would have the same huge numbers. People can say the weigh ins are still big, but the camera doesn’t lie. We see all the empty seats. The actual Classic Tournament has lost luster for sure. The expo is great and growing.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    The opens get done in october and elites start in january. Not much time in between for the event. Classic is still the biggest event in bass fishing IMO.

The conclusion to a hard fought regular season is the AOY title. I think they need to bring back the top 50 AOY tournament as the final event that they did away with..
    IMO the Open champs don't belong in the Classic, neither does any angler outside the Elite Series, too watered down the way it is now, top 30-40 Elite anglers only....

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Expo numbers don’t relate to classic numbers and excitement. People are at the expo for the baits and boats. And too see a few pros. If expo numbers directly related to classic excitement, then the launch and weigh ins would have the same huge numbers. People can say the weigh ins are still big, but the camera doesn’t lie. We see all the empty seats. The actual Classic Tournament has lost luster for sure. The expo is great and growing.
    We all love the live stream and bass track…but to me it takes away the suspense and excitement. Sometimes we know who’s won before the last day even starts. They need to find a way to put back in some of the suspense and anticipation of the final day and weigh in.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 06-14-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    IMO the Open champs don't belong in the Classic, neither does any angler outside the Elite Series, too watered down the way it is now, top 30-40 Elite anglers only....

I think having Federation and Opens anglers in it allows more anglers to relate better to it. It gives a lot of tbem a reason to dream of making it. That dream keeps folks active in the Federation and Opens which in turn provides a source of future Elite anglers. I think each level supports the next. So many guys who fish tournaments have dreamed of being on that Classic stage. I love that aspect. It's relatable and inspiring.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 06-14-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    We all love the live stream and bass track…but to me it takes away the suspense and excitement. Sometimes we know who’s won before the last day even starts. They need to find a way to put back in some of the suspense and anticipation of the final day and weigh in.
    True. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think k having Federation and Ooen anglers in it allows more anglers to relate better to it. It gives a lot a reason to dream of making it. That dream keeps folks active in the Federation and Opens which in turn provides a source of future Elite anglers. I think each level supports the next. So many guys who fish tournaments have dreamed of being on that Classic stage. I love that aspect.
    Very true.

The event was scheduled in early March, but had to be moved to crowd restrictions and COVID. They moved it so they could have the in person weigh ins and the expo. I attended the classic and I though it was great and well run. Lots of excited fans there that were there to follow the tournament as well and meet pro anglers. The lines to get autographs and pictures prove that people were there to follow the action and not just to get free stuff.
    Team Enigma Fishing

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    There were over 100,000 fans this past weekend that would disagree. Records crowds at launch, a packed Expo and a well attended weigh all on the heels of a still ongoing pandemic. I came away feeling like the Classic and BASS are as strong as ever.
    It felt great getting back to normal. There was a lot of excitement in the air and the Ckassic weekend was a blast. I woke up tired but also kinda bummed I did not have to go back to Expo today.

Everyone I talked to was having a blast this weekend. So many traveled from all over the country to be there. I bet at some point I met BASS fans from every state.

I think the combining g and nitpicking are way more prevalent on here than out in tbe everyday world. Probanly over 100,000 people showed up. I don't think the Classis getting killed off anytime soon.

The last decade or so the Classic happened 1 to 3 events into the year. Tbis year was only later due to COVID.
    100% agree with Mark! The place was packed and I had a ton of fun! Great to finally meet Mark! Thanks for taking the time to talk to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post

The launch had record numbers each morning, the weigh ins were packed too with Friday as usual being the lightest weigh in audience. You damn sure can gage the excitement 9f the Ckassic by talking to people at the Expo. As I have said I have been to a bunch of Classics and this one ranked up there in all aspects. I think it far exceeded Houston and even Birmingham last year.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    The outdoor expo (best in the business) has the ability to save an average fishing tourney, which is usually held at the wrong time of the year (at least lately). It should be held at the end of the current season in the same calendar year. If these guys are so good, have them fish sometime from early September to early October for the Classic championship.
    I couldn't agree more! Attendance at the Expo is certainly not the topic I am discussing. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, the Classic has become the worlds greatest fishing industry expo, that just so happens to have fishing tournament associated with it. I personally would rather it be the worlds biggest fishing tournament that happens to have a a great expo. I watched the Friday weigh in and the arena was empty but I bet that expo was packed. I've been to several classics and I do love the expo but I would argue that if you had a free expo of that size, with all those deals on tackle, only available at the expo, it would be packed if there was no tournament at all. For me, the Classic is THE Championship fishing tournament and when it is held is important.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 06-14-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post

I wish they would shut down BASStrakk at noon on final day.
    I wish they did not use basstrakk for the classic. or at least no the final day.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I wish they did not use basstrakk for the classic. or at least no the final day.

Would love to at least see it shut off at noon on final day.

19. Member
    Going forward over the years my guess is we will see the Classic being held at different times of the year for different reasons. It is what it is. I also feel like the field is a bit too watered down. I think the legends exemption should be available for a limited number of appearances, maybe it already is, I don't know for sure. I also think there is a path to the Classic through a trail that is not BASS affiliated. Is that true ?
    GETFISHED !!!

20. Member
    I agree that this year didn't have the same excitement as past Classics for me. I still enjoyed it but the buzz wasn't there.

I think a lack of star power is one reason. There are some hammers in Bass for sure but not many big personalities. they're missing guys like KVD, Ike, Dafoe, Evers, Reese and Wheeler just to name a few!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast