Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    While it’s easy to blame MLF for the tournament schism, one must remember there was major split in the early 2000’s. That’s when the BASS Nation and the Federation Nation that made clubs choose between which organization they would align with. Remember? Irwin Jacobs, Ray Scott?
    MLF is a pro organization first and trickled down. B.A.S.S. Federation was around for 30 years or so before the Federation Nation and The Bass Federation.
    Let’s get our facts right.
    Thanks for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Expo numbers don’t relate to classic numbers and excitement. People are at the expo for the baits and boats. And too see a few pros. If expo numbers directly related to classic excitement, then the launch and weigh ins would have the same huge numbers. People can say the weigh ins are still big, but the camera doesn’t lie. We see all the empty seats. The actual Classic Tournament has lost luster for sure. The expo is great and growing.
    Yep, huge difference between a bunch of people milling around at the expo and the actual fishing. From a fishing standpoint it just was not a good event. Average at best.

3. Member
    It feels like all those MLF guys have been erased from the sport after the classic.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    We all love the live stream and bass track…but to me it takes away the suspense and excitement. Sometimes we know who’s won before the last day even starts. They need to find a way to put back in some of the suspense and anticipation of the final day and weigh in.
    I too look at bass track but agree I would rather it go away.

it finally was a summer classic that everyone been wanting and since a lot of states have opened, people are traveling and my wife drive home from OKC Friday nite and she said that the turnpike was like 2 lanes parade both ways to & from OKC..

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Don't watch the live stream if you need the suspense and anticipation. I prefer to see the tournament won like BPT rather than find out at a post tournament weigh-in who won several hours ago.
    Maybe you sped read over the part where I said “we all love the live stream”?

The obvious difference in formats makes MLF suspenseful and exciting (sometimes), however it definitely lowers the entertainment/suspense (luster?) level of one of the headline components of the classic (weigh in). After all…it is supposed to be “Big Stage…Big Dreams”

As far as the fishing the Classic itself is still the Classic, but if BASS cares about Classic weigh in attendance for the “Big Stage”…the Classic Final Day weigh in needs some work. Nobody wants to attend a game where they already know the outcome.

Yes I agree on final day suspense. I’ve marshaled in several classics and elite events. There hasn’t been 1 single Classic I didn’t know the winner by 1:30-2:00. Same for anyone that keeps up with Basstrakk. Basstrakk is fun to keep up with while working but anglers hate it for the most part. Pros have several times in the past asked me not to enter their weights until they move areas or late in the day because it attracts fans and cameras.

8. Member
    BASS needs to conduct a thorough post tx audit and I’m sure they will. They had a number of unprofessional miscues. They will watch the tapes and get better I’m sure. And I agree the two hour weigh in lacked excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by savoir faire View Post
    While it’s easy to blame MLF for the tournament schism, one must remember there was major split in the early 2000’s. That’s when the BASS Nation and the Federation Nation that made clubs choose between which organization they would align with. Remember? Irwin Jacobs, Ray Scott?
    MLF is a pro organization first and trickled down. B.A.S.S. Federation was around for 30 years or so before the Federation Nation and The Bass Federation.
    Let’s get our facts right.
    Thanks for your support.

And most Federations are a shell of the pre split.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    And most Federations are a shell of the pre split.
    That’s the truth. They were strong on environment, fishery access, youth recruitment and other issues.

11. Member
    I like to see the amateurs fishing. They are just as good but have jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by savoir faire View Post
    That’s the truth. They were strong on environment, fishery access, youth recruitment and other issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by cg2fish View Post
    Agree with both of these, we as Bass Anglers lost in the split

Every state has many that can compete with the pros, there is just many that family, job and other commitments that are more important. Look at the State Teams and you will see several individuals that are consistently on represent the state for many many years.

Quote Originally Posted by cg2fish View Post
    If you think the amateurs are just as good, you my friend have never spent a day in the boat with Defoe, Vandam, Lucas, Wheeler, Swift, Morgan or most any other pro. For the most part, the pros are on a way different level than most all amateurs.

If you think the amateurs are just as good, you my friend have never spent a day in the boat with Defoe, Vandam, Lucas, Wheeler, Swift, Morgan or most any other pro. For the most part, the pros are on a way different level than most all amateurs.
    When they are presented an opportunity, year after year these Federation guys bring it in the classic and do pretty well against the pros.........

15. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    No love for the BASS guys?
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    When they are presented an opportunity, year after year these Federation guys bring it in the classic and do pretty well against the pros.........
    That’s why I said “for the most part.”

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    IMO the Open champs don't belong in the Classic, neither does any angler outside the Elite Series, too watered down the way it is now, top 30-40 Elite anglers only....
    Agree 100%. Top 30 elites that fish all 3 days

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    No love for the BASS guys?
    They're second class remember? Below even those fishing the XFLW pro circuit according to some
    Fish have fins, they swim

They just released attendance...over 147,000 attended this one.....second most in Classic history. So much for your theory that they are killing the Classic. Basically this bunch of so called no names with lesser talent appealed to enough fans to draw incredible numbers.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    Agree 100%. Top 30 elites that fish all 3 days
    I believe Chris Jones and Justin Kerr would disagree. Both top 5 with a real chance at winning.

I would love to fish a Classic as an amateur, that would be absolutely, an unforgettably amazing moment in my life. Love that BASS allows that to happen
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast