Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What is your minimum Top Speed for a tournament boat?

Here’s a question that really means nothing. What is YOUR minimum top speed for a tournament bass boat? No wrong answers here; very subjective. Lots of people win lots of money out of a Fisher with a 40hp. Obviously 20-21 ft with 250hp is the rig for the pro boys. Fish can be caught out of anything that floats.

The “what is a tournament ready boat“; Rangers are slow”; various tin rig threads; etc. inspired the question. In y’all’s respective opinions how fast must a boat go to be a “legit fish catchin’ money winnin’ rig?”

Without thinking too much about why, I figure about 60mph is my number.

If 60 works for you then its 60. Doesn't matter what other's think. What I have learned if you can get 70 with 2 people and a load, you'll be faster then 1/2 the field.

there are times, i'd like a 100mph boat. reality is most of the time I want to go as fast, and still comfortable, as I can in the waves.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    I started back tournament fishing a small trail with a guy I used to fished with back in the late 90's through early 2000's. We won three and finished 2nd in another last year along with 2nd overall and big fish. We missed a tournament or two because of Covid and that knocked us out of the points for 1st overall. This year we've won one and came in second (lost first by 2 ounces) he has a 20 year old 21'er with a 225 Optipop. Somehow that engine is still running. Not much else on the boat what people would consider top notch. None of the gages work, he still runs a small trolling motor, one depth finder at the console, no depth finder up front. I've never seen him run over 45 MPH the past two years. I have my little Rt188 and 45 is about top speed loaded with two and livewells full.

The nice big sparkle sled with 10K in depth finders and trolling motor helps, but the angler still has to put fish in the box. 45 MPH seems to be just fine.

80+ for me. But speed has never helped me in a tournament

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member

6. Banned
    I don't tourney fish, but because of the smaller size of lakes around me, most well under 10,000 acres (besides long runs on the Ohio River) 60mph'ish is enough.

7. Member
    60ish

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Whatever gets me there based on lake and conditions, safely.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I usually run mid 50's but I own a Ranger so thats about tops I guess.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

10. Member
    70-72 at take off and 60-65 after first spot is fine with me.
    Fish have fins, they swim

70-75

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    What you get in the big go fast boats is COMFORT in rough water at 60 MPH while normally sipping fuel like a smaller boat with a 150.

13. Member
    I guess some of it is geographic. I live in north Texas now, and it’s big lakes and big waves. A boat that can go mid 50s when the wind is blowing is fast. Boats leave and head in multiple directions, and rarely is there any side by side driving heading to the same spot. A fast boat doesn’t matter much here.

I used to fish a lot of tournies on the the Red River. That is 5 wide NASCAR boat racing on tournament morning for 15 miles or more. You need a fast boat there if you want to get to one little spot that will hold a lot of fish, like a small cut in the rocks with current stacking them up. 70 there gets you left behind in a hurry.

14. Member
    I’m good with 45-50. Only about 3/4 throttle, not working the engine too hard, not wasting gas, and plenty fast enough for me. I don’t fish big money events and normal club stuff only has about 5-10 boats, sometimes less and it just ends up to be a get together.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

15. Member
    The opens or a club T? Club T i dont care opens 43950mph lol

16. Member
    40 mph would be a minimum in good water conditions. Anything slower takes to long to go a longer distance.

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    First one to the community hole !!!!

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I don’t know but we have been beat by 2 guys with a 9.9 a few times.....keep on running 70s it’s working

19. Member
    55-60 so that at least you are not having to spend too much time "planning" for the time it takes to run somewhere or get back to the ramp. I fished out of a rig that would only do 30 for a few years and I got sick and tired of begin limited on running distance or time. Doesn't seem like a lot but if every spot move during the day takes twice as long it adds up.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I started back tournament fishing a small trail with a guy I used to fished with back in the late 90's through early 2000's. We won three and finished 2nd in another last year along with 2nd overall and big fish. We missed a tournament or two because of Covid and that knocked us out of the points for 1st overall. This year we've won one and came in second (lost first by 2 ounces) he has a 20 year old 21'er with a 225 Optipop. Somehow that engine is still running. Not much else on the boat what people would consider top notch. None of the gages work, he still runs a small trolling motor, one depth finder at the console, no depth finder up front. I've never seen him run over 45 MPH the past two years. I have my little Rt188 and 45 is about top speed loaded with two and livewells full.

The nice big sparkle sled with 10K in depth finders and trolling motor helps, but the angler still has to put fish in the box. 45 MPH seems to be just fine.
    I agree with 45 mph, although my boat only goes 42 so I fudge a bit. But for most guys I think 57 mph would be a minimum with 65 mph preferred.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast