Started the process of a HydraSports VL485 restoration

I have spent the better part of a day trying to get the top cap off. All the screws are out and it is cut loose from the floor but, it seems when the boat was put together they had a very small person with long arms get in the gas tank / battery box area and put a layer of glass on the hull seem across the back. Also they glassed the bottom of the splash well to the transom I think I have everything but this area broke loose but the splash well. It is looking like I may have to cut through the splash well to get it apart. I really did not want to cut through top. I could use some advice to get this Hydra-Sports apart.

2. Member
    Most splash wells are glued to the transom when the cap is set in place. If you're sure "All" tabbing is cut you still have a bit of a fight popping the back of the splash well loose from the transom. There are threads about this, my suggestion is when you get tired of the fight walk away from it. Do not cut your splash well your just making more work for yourself. Any time saved cutting will be lost fixing the splash well.

I would agree with Rojo, walk away n give yourself some time to recoup. When I did mine, that splashwell was a B. Keep after it, you'll eventually break it loose.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

4. Member
    I would have to agree with the other 2 post, walk away. I restored a VL-485 a couple of years ago and most of the information I have on the restore is somewhere on this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here and most are willing to help. I wanted to walk away several times but after 5 years of the restore, the boat is a great ride. Not very fast but a very nice ride.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=583491

5. Member
    I used to build a 20' day cruiser with a shoe box fit (just like a production boat. I used to tab the entire deck to the hull, ALL THE WAY AROUND. It really ties it in and makes for a solid boat. Boats that are a butt fit get tabbed inside and then capped, they look so good you don't need a rub rail to cover any ugly.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR