Thread: 2018 198 P

Banned

2018 198 P

just purchased this boat. I have fished it this weekend and really like the boat. Few things I don't like coming from a 521 but a lot i do like. Main thing I don't like is the tin really is hot under lids with condensation. How do you folks deal with condensation and heat in boxes? I was really pleased with the ride and it was very quiet, overall like my purchase.

Tks

2. Member
    Great boat... glad you like it...put some Styrofoam under the lids glued to the bottom. That will help a lot but maybe not 100%. There are a couple of threads here where someone added ventilation....but Styrofoam fixed mine .....BUT I did not have much of an issue anyway. Mine is garaged and I crack the lids. People put wet gear like reels and things in there and some lids leak and humidity...then close the lids...it has no where to go.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

3. Member
    ... the lids on my 2021 already had insulation. I also garage my boat. As long as I haven't towed or fished in rain, my boxes stay bone dry. I have not experienced condensation issues.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Bravo 1 FS
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

4. Banned
    You could spray the bottom sides of the lids with bedliner or even have them sprayed by a shops. Cheapest solution would be some closed cell foam insulation board. The pink board is the best. You could even order a small piece of matching carpet and carpet the underside of the lids using contact cement for permanent adhesion

5. Banned
    Tks I just purchased and do keep in garage but let it get good and wet in rain storm to see if it leaked in boxes. Condensation in heat after rain was all over lids. I do open lids after garaging.

6. Member
    I have the same year as yours. Only time i have any condensation issues is if i fish in the rain.
    The carpet takes forever to dry if you don't remove the water. I suck up what i can with a shop vac and it's dry the next day.
    I'm sure in SC you have to deal with a lot more humidity. Insulated lids and air movement should help a lot!

7. Member
    Fan blowing on low into bilge compartment cures a lot of moisture problems

8. Banned
    Well I have fished out of the boat 5 times. I sold my 521 and went with tin boat for couple reasons. Does the boat get you wet in heavy cross winds it does. Is the front end a little light yes, but Ultrex helps with that while re tying or switching baits. I was really surprised by the quiet ride which was much better than anticipated.. 54mph bout best I could run with half tank gas and 475 lbs of guys and some gear. Dual poles weigh it down I'm sure. While there seems to be a good bit of Ranger tin bashing I will give the boat 8.2 outta 10. I like it

Quote Originally Posted by bngolfen View Post
    Well I have fished out of the boat 5 times. I sold my 521 and went with tin boat for couple reasons. Does the boat get you wet in heavy cross winds it does. Is the front end a little light yes, but Ultrex helps with that while re tying or switching baits. I was really surprised by the quiet ride which was much better than anticipated.. 54mph bout best I could run with half tank gas and 475 lbs of guys and some gear. Dual poles weigh it down I'm sure. While there seems to be a good bit of Ranger tin bashing I will give the boat 8.2 outta 10. I like it
    Basically, I have the same results as you. But I have an additional battery, 36V trolling motor, and a jack plate. Additionally, I have dual Talons on brackets, so my 198 is a squatter.
    Sure there are a few things I miss coming from a 518 IC, smoother ride in a chop, more leg room at the helm, and the speed. But I am MUCH more mentally comfortable in my tin than in the super pretty glass.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Banned
    Mechanic Bob do you put yours in salt?

Yes I do. My boat does NOT have any carpeting and came with an Aluminum Trailer. I upgraded to the Riptide 36V Terrova. Living on the coast, I fish everything from the ICW, Near Shore, Flats, Brackish, Fresh Water, Rivers, ... everything other than the big open waters. The main reason more comfortable in the tin, it the Oysters Beds, not so worried about the rubs. Also fishing the rivers, my Camo Boat does not show the Slime.
    Flush the motor almost always after a trip.
    Dielectrical Grease on everything.
    I look like the Exxon Valdese as much as I keep all items, pivot points, bearings, greased and oiled.
    I have removed the brakes from my trailer, as, really a boat that light being pulled by a F250, no need. May have to replace the springs this fall or next spring.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

12. Banned
    Thanks