Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger Boat motor starting on its own

OK guys, I have one for everyone to decifer. I have already relayed this to my friend that I call my virtual mechanic and he has given me his take on it but he said he would have to study on it a while. I have a 2004 Ranger 521 with a 2015 Yamaha VMAX 250 SHO. I always turn off my main breaker when I take off the water each time just as I did yesterday. I am sitting in my garage in front of my boat at the garage door with some chicken on the grill for dinner. All of the sudden my boat motor cranks up on its own and scares the you know what out of me. I ran back there and hit the stop button on my touch pad which didn't work. Here I am with my boat running and no way to cut it off. I decided to connect my master power breaker and when I did the motor stopped. I hit the button to disconnect it again and the motor tried to start again. I am supposing that the master breaker is bad. while it was running disconnected all the lights on my push button key pad where lit up. I am lucky this happened while I was in the garage or my motor would have blown up. I have one side of the hot cable disconnected from my breaker now so I hope it want happen again. I am going to start with a new master power breaker. If any of you think it could be something different I would appreciate any input.

Have you done a search? I have read about this phenomenon on here before. Glad you caught it quickly.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

3. Member
    Does this year of boat have a digital keypad. If so I would
    suspect that to be the issue. Good luck

4. Member
    Black box in rod locker is bad

5. Member
    I have not done a search on this site. I spoke with Ranger and they are sending me a new keypad because I had just bought a replacement keypad last summer. But, I am still thinking it has got to be something with the main disconnect because it was disconnected when the motor started. There should not have been power on the keypad at all. I don't think it is the Fuse panel in the rod locker.

Key pad. Used to be common. Should be some threads about engines getting cooked. I pull I kill switch so if anything it will just crank and crank. With the breaker off the keypad will still start the engine . The auto bilge circuit is always alive and the engine is always powered if the trim works with the breaker off
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Key pad-black box or both. I've heard it's best to replace both ( if you have to replace it).

8. Member
    I installed a Perko battery disconnect switch on the positive side of the cranking battery.

9. Member
    It's the black box (fuse block) in the rod locker, remember it controls the touch pad! Adding a shut off switch will work when you are not using the boat, but what will stop it from starting when your on the water?

10. Member
    There was a recall on that very problem years ago but i dont remember what year, we had to replace both box and key pad best i remember.

I always garage the boat with the kill switch pulled.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    There was a recall on that very problem years ago but i dont remember what year, we had to replace both box and key pad best i remember.
    Bingo!

13. Member
    So if a guy were to install a key switch and bypass the touchpad I am guessing the auto start issue would not happen correct?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

14. Member
    I just had the same issue over the last month. Its the key pad. Ranger just sent me one for my 2004 521VX in 11 days. They said it was back ordered but came 11 days later. Good luck!

It's the new auto start.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    It's the new auto start.

17. Member
    It is the keypad! Put my new keypad in and no longer any issues like trying to start on its own or , all lights on and alarms.

18. Member
    Give it some time, I would make sure to shut things off when you get home.

19. Member
    Your motor isnt hooked to the main disconnect. I would put a disconnect on it though so it doesnt happen again

20. Member
    OK, so, thanks so much for all the reply posts. So, I called Ranger and they sent me a new key pad at no charge. Those things are now $535 if you have to buy them. I also, on recommendation from my virtual mechanic, put in a disconnect to the hot side of the battery so when that is off there is no power what so ever to the motor, key pad, or anything. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast