Older 9.9 Johnson

My neighbors son bought a Gheenoe hull. Someone in his family gave him a 9.9 Johnson. Model J10RCID. Serial E546845
    From what I understand it hasn’t been run in years. I told the the youngster that I’d help him get the motor running. I put new gas in it and got fresh gas all the way to the carb. I have spark at the plugs. I could not get it to hit. I told him we probably need to rebuild the carb. My question is I can get to 1 nut on the left but the nut on the right is behind a spring of some kind. Will I need to remove the flywheel and starter rope and recoil spring to get to this 1 nut to remove carb? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    Yes you will need to remove the recoil starter to access the one carb nut. You do not need to remove the flywheel. Here are some hints.
    You do not want the recoil pulley and spring to disengage or come out of the recoil housing. Reassembly is not fun if the recoil spring goes sproing if you know what I mean. Look for a service manual to help you with this disassembly. It will be beneficial for sure.

find a 5/16 coarse threaded nut. Get a set of vice grips. Set both aside.
    Loosen the nut that holds the recoil starter in place but do not pull it out.
    very carefully and holding tightly, lift up on the recoil assembly and clamp the housing and pulley with the vice grips. Use enough clamp pressure to prevent the spring from retracting the rope. Then screw on the 5/16 nut to the mounting bolt to hold the assembly together. Keep the vice grips engaged. Set aside.
    now you have access to the remaining carb nut.

most likely the main jet is plugged with varnish and other junk. It can be cleaned and reused.

this is a great engine and one of the best in this hp class. I have owned and burned a lot of gas in the several I have owned.
    almost forgot. Once you get it running, I highly recommend running half a can of Evinrude Engine tuner. These engine tend to carbon up the piston rings. Let it sit over night to get the best results. Follow the instructions on the can.
    Last edited by bighare; 06-13-2021 at 09:20 PM.

3. Member
    If allowed, this site here is run by Leroy who specializes in older, low HP outboards by OMC, link = https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Joh...-fuel_pump.htm
    Last edited by DaleH; 06-16-2021 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Typo on 'OMC', doh!
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI