Thread: Texas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We used to live in Central Illinois, got real tired of the liberal nonsense.....we moved to central Louisiana where we have family. Toledo Bend used to be an 800 mile drive, now it is a 70 with Rayburn just a little further. Not to mention some pretty good lakes close by. I only wish we had made the decision years ago.
    The power of positive thoughts

2. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21TritonX View Post
    We used to live in Central Illinois, got real tired of the liberal nonsense.....we moved to central Louisiana where we have family. Toledo Bend used to be an 800 mile drive, now it is a 70 with Rayburn just a little further. Not to mention some pretty good lakes close by. I only wish we had made the decision years ago.
    You lived close to me, I remember. Good for you on moving.
    Last edited by sgt93; 06-14-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    Texas will be blue in the next decade and degrade from there.
    Just read an article about that, and that's probably accurate. Population growth, changing demographics will have an effect. Fish don't care who runs things however.

4. Member
    I live in Houston (suburbs) half of each year. The other half-year is in East Tennessee. I can tell you that the heat and humidity keeps me from Texas all Summer.

Tennessee is much better weather wise, especially up here on top of the Cumberland Plateau. (Fairfield Glade, TN) We are 8 degrees cooler than Knoxville; Nashville; Chattanooga and Memphis most of the time.

I've got Dale Hollow 1.5 hours to the West; Chickamauga is 1 hour to the East. The Subdivision has 11 lakes (no wake lakes) and Five beautiful golf courses.

We also have Four Seasons with none of them bad. Almost everyone here is from somewhere else, and they are very friendly.

We love it. If it wasn't for 6 grandchildren in Texas....well????

I miss catching a redfish now and then, but the trade-off is worth it. Heck, its only an 8 hour drive to the East or the Gulf Coast, if I just had to have a red.

Since you are NOT living in High heat-High-humidity ( I know your place is humid, but...) I suggest you take a quick flight into Texas during the summer.

FYI Dallas is 99 degrees with a dew point of 75 today, Houston is 100 degrees, with a dew point of 74 today. Sheesh!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Don’t move there and then vote for people who want to make Texas what your leaving. Seem like many do that.
    Stupidity.JPG

6. Member
    Texas is-a-changing.

I was in Austin, if you are wanting to leave liberal, don't go to a major Texas city. Live rural.

It is really hot in Texas, I was fine with it the first few years but with animals and a family it starts to get to ya not being able to do much outside, IMO.

My wife and I love North Carolina, it has everything, some of our family is beginning to move here after visiting, I expect more of our friends will as well.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

7. Member
    Port Aransas/ Rockport
    Last edited by godsdozer; 06-14-2021 at 05:34 PM.

8. Member
    Sorry to be the burden of bad news but Time Out has closed, It was never my thing but I drive by it every day.

I moved to Tyler from Huntington, tx in 2000. Ol vernon who ran Tri-lakes tackle said I had lost my mind. I fished rayburn almost 5 days a week and that was the good ol days of empty boat ramps in the middle of the week and acres of grass. But work was better in Tyler. Tyler is def not the same town it once was. Still great but so congested due to everyone moving here. Fishing wise its ok. I live down the road from Lake Tyler but rarely ever fish it these days due to the ski boats and pressure. I fish fork on fridays but I'm over it. We have a lakehouse on lake Murvaul close to Carthage but it's not the same so I spend almost every weekend back to Rayburn and Huntington to see the Grands. I'm 5th generation from east texas and I love this state more than anything but its changing so fast.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianandmell View Post
    Sorry to be the burden of bad news but Time Out has closed, It was never my thing but I drive by it every day.

I moved to Tyler from Huntington, tx in 2000. Ol vernon who ran Tri-lakes tackle said I had lost my mind. I fished rayburn almost 5 days a week and that was the good ol days of empty boat ramps in the middle of the week and acres of grass. But work was better in Tyler. Tyler is def not the same town it once was. Still great but so congested due to everyone moving here. Fishing wise its ok. I live down the road from Lake Tyler but rarely ever fish it these days due to the ski boats and pressure. I fish fork on fridays but I'm over it. We have a lakehouse on lake Murvaul close to Carthage but it's not the same so I spend almost every weekend back to Rayburn and Huntington to see the Grands. I'm 5th generation from east texas and I love this state more than anything but its changing so fast.
    Its sad so many folks that are natives in these states that the crowds are moving to are having their lives and areas changed forever!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    Its sad so many folks that are natives in these states that the crowds are moving to are having their lives and areas changed forever!

I have always thought Anericans could live wherever they choose to live in the US. Never knew they had to pick one state and stay put.

11. Member
    You don’t say if you have ever visited our great state. But based on this weeks weather, I would come and stay a week or two and make sure you can handle the heat. I’m 57 and a Texas native. I can now understand why snowbirds live as they do. If I had the means, I would want the ability to move based on time of year and weather.

12. Member
    I believe I’m about as perfectly situated as possible for Texas when it comes to fishing fresh and salt. Situated just about in the middle of Houston (1.5 hours), Austin (1.5 hours), and San Antonio (2.25 hours) at the “foothills” of the hill country in Austin County, Tx with Lake Fayette (power plant lake) just a short 30 minute drive from the house. Lake Fork is roughly 4 hours, Rayburn is 3, Toledo is 3.5, Choke Canyon is 3, Canyon is 2, Falcon is 5, Amistad is 5, and just about anywhere up and down the entire coast (from Louisiana border to Mexico) is within 5+- hours, with Louisiana border roughly 3 hours and Mexico (South Padre/Port Isabel) sitting right at 5.5 hours. Hard to beat the location overall. It does get hot as hades in the summer time, but I’ve been in the general area since I was born and I’m used to it. If you’re coming from a cooler climate, it can be a shock for sure

13. Member
    I used to live in New Orleans and when I first moved there, all I did was saltwater fish (reds and specks), I had never done it before. After a few years, the majority of my fishing was bass fishing. Not sure but I think it's because of the thrill of catching a really good bass. With reds, you can always go out in the passes and catch some huge ones but fishing in the marsh, I was fishing for 16-20 inchers to eat and would throw anything bigger back. I guess my recommendation would be to live closer to good bass fishing and plan on taking a saltwater trip a few times a year, but you could be the opposite and enjoy saltwater better too, tough call.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Don’t move there and then vote for people who want to make Texas what your leaving. Seem like many do that.
    Trust me, my necks so RED I'm surprised they haven't run me out of Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Port Aransas/ Rockport
    We fell in love with Rockport

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Port Aransas/ Rockport

I love Port Aransas!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    We fell in love with Rockport
    My wife and I love the Fulton/Rockport area. If we were gonna live on the gulf, that would be the area for sure

18. Member
    i lived about 20 minutes from choke canyon and 45 minutes from coleto creek and the fishing was phenomenal. no development on the lake, no jet skiers, etc. Making money down there was tough unless you went into the oil field, but if you are retired, the money you have will go a very long way. I missed the mountains, the trees, and the deer hunting back east. The 112 degrees from april - october sucked too. Sunsets in south texas were nothing like ive ever seen before or since. electric bills were insane down there.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

19. Member
    I live just NW of Lufkin and work in Nacogdoches in the beautiful Piney Woods of East Texas.

30 minutes to Big Sam, 20 minutes to Lake Nacogdoches, 30 minutes to Lake Naconiche, 45 minutes to Lake Pinkston and Lake Livingston.

Just big enough to be "modern" and small enough not to overrun with big city-ness!

If you get too far "out" IE closer to the lakes then you go on Rural Electric Co-Op's, no internet service except satellite, and farther higher prices on land etc. if any of those things are in your discussion.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

20. Member
    Property Taxes are rising fast and does not appear to be letting up.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast