Low water pressure and over heating at idle

200 pro xs s#2b688061
    Motor has 152 hours

when I first got it water pressure at wot would be 28-30 but now it has dropped down to 6-8 when when running the temp is fine 135-140 but as soon as you drop out of gear and let it idle she warms up real quick would the water pump seal cause this?

BC745544-E39C-4433-BD30-A2DAFFAEEDF4.jpeg5CC668A3-867F-4A30-953C-F5655F9EB266.jpeg
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s

You have a blown water pump gasket, you’re not alone with this. Easy fix but it being seen more regularly of late. If it’s never had a full pump kit, it’s well and truly due with those hours, also there are 2 small filters in the power head that are very easy to check and clean, this is normal maintenance
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    You have a blown water pump gasket, you’re not alone with this. Easy fix but it being seen more regularly of late. If it’s never had a full pump kit, it’s well and truly due with those hours, also there are 2 small filters in the power head that are very easy to check and clean, this is normal maintenance
    thats what I figured I do clean those small filters out 1 or twice a month
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Tell me more about these filters and where they are located. Is there a youtube video on them. Information appreciated.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Daniel:

Avoid the tube videos if at all possible. The strainers are shown in a post that you can find in the FAQ Section at the top of this forum (shows BOTH versions of the strainers, too).

I am not subscribing to the Water Pump interval shown in the Owner's Manual OR Service Manual, as the exact same pump, using the exact same components, spinning the exact same RPM's has been assigned a ONCE PER YEAR or every 100 Hours (whichever comes FIRST) on previous models.

Gasket failures such as this are just one of the reasons for my opinion on this. I strongly recommend owners consider the ANNUAL replacement interval, as it is relatively inexpensive and can potentially save you a BUNDLE of money as compared to overheating the engine (which isn't covered normally).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Daniel:

Avoid the tube videos if at all possible. The strainers are shown in a post that you can find in the FAQ Section at the top of this forum (shows BOTH versions of the strainers, too).

I am not subscribing to the Water Pump interval shown in the Owner's Manual OR Service Manual, as the exact same pump, using the exact same components, spinning the exact same RPM's has been assigned a ONCE PER YEAR or every 100 Hours (whichever comes FIRST) on previous models.

Gasket failures such as this are just one of the reasons for my opinion on this. I strongly recommend owners consider the ANNUAL replacement interval, as it is relatively inexpensive and can potentially save you a BUNDLE of money as compared to overheating the engine (which isn't covered normally).

gotcha I was going off the VesselView and that chart on the motor I’m going to my dealer tomorrow to get a kit to replace it all
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s