Okeechobee “toxic” algae

Fished Saturday and saw the typical pollen looking algae on the surface but nothing crazy. Went frogging last night and found several areas of the heavy, nasty “toxic” algae you see on tv on the north shore. Smells like a cross between a dumpster and a never cleaned public toilet on steroids! Definitely doesn’t bode well for the coming months…

2. Member
    Yup, it's already appearing in the dead river on the Harris Chain. Already a public health alert in the news today for it. And it's only early June. Great job FWC!!!!!

3. Member
    Were you any where near Horse Island? was prefishing for the Rolands tournament and thursday caught some frog fish, went back Friday to expand on that and them Damn Airboats were in there nuking the shit out of our area. Had to find somewhere else to go area was nasty!
    Quote Originally Posted by L&B200M View Post
    Fished Saturday and saw the typical pollen looking algae on the surface but nothing crazy. Went frogging last night and found several areas of the heavy, nasty “toxic” algae you see on tv on the north shore. Smells like a cross between a dumpster and a never cleaned public toilet on steroids! Definitely doesn’t bode well for the coming months…

4. Member
    Not far from there. I checked a website yesterday that shows all the reported areas of the algae. there are a lot of spots on the north shore that have been marked. This is the first time I have seen it in the lake and I spent a lot of time out there including gigging frogs. It’s sad and maddening all in one.

5. Member
    Update. Went out yesterday evening and checked some areas around Kings Bar. Yes there is algae there. The open water was full of it. First time I’ve ever seen it that bad. Strong winds were breaking it up tho. No bites but I won’t blame it on algae, water was really dirty. I’ve been gone awhile and was surprised to see it that thick on the North shore, it’s early summer with water temps around 85.

6. Member
    Fished 4th Point yesterday morning, water was clean and the fish were chewing.