150 Oil Preasure

I have a 2021 Mercury 150 with less then 10 hrs. I was driving yesterday, got an alarm and motor when in limp mode. It was a low oil pressure alarm on my Simrad. I turned motor off for 10 seconds, restarted, same thing. Drove 300 yards and docked boat. Removed cover, looked at plugs and checked oil. Oil was full but on the dirty side. Restarted 10 minutes later and running fine since. At 3000ish rpms oil pressure was mid 20's. Should oil have a gray tint this early in motor life? What color is stock oil, it it pure like a automobile?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should not be gray tinted, and would normally expect slightly higher pressure than you are indicating.

Strongly recommend you get this in to the dealer for inspection, and do not run it again until addressed.

BTW: Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info (Serial Number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    SN 2b797125 I maybe off with psi numbers. Here is pic of oil with 10 hours. What should pressure be at 3000 rpms?
    20210613_105629.jpg

4. Member
    Also what should PSI be at idel?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil pressure at idle will range from around 11 psi - 44 psi (lower when warm, higher when cool/cold).

At WOT, water pressure will range from 40-69 psi (again, lower when warm- higher when cool/cold).

Anything in-between is just that "some result that is in-between".

Really can't tell much about your oil from a stain on a paper towel other than it's color stain being "roughly normal".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I had the same symptoms on my 150.. Get it to your dealer... and be glad it's under warranty. Keep us posted.

MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

7. Member
    What was wrong with your 150? Did the issues come and go?

8. Member
    Keep in mind this is MY experience and outcome. "Your results may vary"

My 2016 150 motor at 7 or 12 hours (can't remember exactly) had apparently lost oil pressure internally. Caused the alarm to go off and throw a fault on my VVmobile. Went into guardian/limp mode. "Check oil level..blah blah" Oil level was fine. Oil looked slightly and I repeat..slightly "off" but nothing that anyone would say "Dang that's cooked!" Got it home and fired it up on the hose/muffs. It started right up, peed fine and strong, & sounded good. Took it to the dealer. I do not know exactly if the dealer "finished" it off during the testing or what. Results: Dealer said the computer showed no "abuse" or over-revs in it's history. Dealer said they found lots of internal metal frag laying in the sump. They called Mercury who said they were sending a new, not rebuilt, powerhead. (platinum extended service plan) New motor came in - broken motor shipped back in the same crate for "autopsy". That's it.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keep in mind- while it's often helpful to know the experiences of others, we have a strict "one engine per thread" policy here, so as to avoid confusion between multiple engines in the post (or even post hi-jacking, not that this situation is).