NMEA hook up with Lowrance temperature sensors

Just got HB Solix unit and my boat had two Lowrance units on NMEA network. On that NMEA network, there are two Lowrance EP 80P temp sensors. Wondering if hooked up to Solix, will it recognize the temp sensors? Or it has to be all like brand sensors, aka all HB sensors.

TIA

2. Member
    It will read NMEA, it is a universal language. Invented for that reason.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    double post
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    It communicates through the N2K, yes but the data it shares is not universal unless it is a certified N2K device. The Lowrance temp sensors will not show on a HB N2K network. They're proprietary and use the N2K bus only to share Lowrance data.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weare View Post
    It communicates through the N2K, yes but the data it shares is not universal unless it is a certified N2K device. The Lowrance temp sensors will not show on a HB N2K network. They're proprietary and use the N2K bus only to share Lowrance data.
    This is false! I have 2 Solix units and one Lowrance HDS3, all getting their GPS data from a Lowrance Point 1. My engine data comes through the Lowrance Yamaha engine data interface to all of my units.

https://www.boatingmag.com/gear/basics-nmea-2000/
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    The Point 1 is a certified device, I have used one years ago on my HB network successfully. The fuel flow also showed on the HB network at point, the three Lowrance temp sensor's and water pressure sensor though have never shown on the network, other than to a Lowrance gauge or head unit. N2K is a communication protocol, it does not mean that the data has to be universally available unless you're making a device you want to work on all head units.

7. Member
    The Point 1 is a certified device, I have used one years ago on my HB network successfully. The fuel flow also showed on the HB network at point, the three Lowrance temp sensor's and water pressure sensor though have never shown on the network, other than to a Lowrance gauge or head unit. N2K is a communication protocol, it does not mean that the data has to be universally available unless you're making a device you want to work on all head units.
    Mine is showing the engine temp, the voltage and RPMs. My understanding is, if I want my head units to show water pressure and fuel flow, I would need those parts to tie into the system. From the provided article, "With a backbone cable serving as the highway, all you need to do is plug in any new NMEA 2000-*compatible device and it comes to life with minimal setup procedure needed. Each instrument connected to the backbone will begin conversations with all other devices connected to the network".

Yamaha 250 SHO

So long as the device sends a message the HB head unit can interpret it doesnt matter if its proprietary or not. Temperature is a NMEA Message PGN that is read by Solix units, therefore it should read the temp sensors regardless of manufacturer. You will need to most likely select the device as the temp source. You cannot however reconfigure the device with a non Navico MFD. My Solix is reading the Navico Fuel level sensor, Navico Yamaha Engine interface cable, and Navico Point-1 via the network.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA