Albermarle sound hazard

There is some underwater hazard in the middle of the albermarle sound more towards the southern end. Between Mackeys and the scuppernong is the generally vague area from reports I've heard. It has destroyed several boats and put people in the hospital-intensive care just in the last two years. Does anyone know if this has been marked yet by anyone?
    im hoping wildlife or someone has identified it and removed it or at least marked it at this point but have not heard.
    Dont want myself or any more people to end up the hospital or worse. I feel terrible for those who have already been hurt already. Hope someone on here has some info...
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

2. Member
    2 boats struck stumps as you come out of the mouth of the roanoke river on the right side and turned east a few weeks ago, comments I heard was you need to go several hundred yards out into the sound before turning east toward mackeys , I think there was 4 injured in this incident , Apperantly it has not been marked , other than maybe channel markers as you leave the river going into the sound
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

3. Banned
    There are quite a few out there for sure. Wish there was a way to mark them all plus any other hazard out there but it would require a big effort to get that done but saving one life would be worth it. With all the high tech graphing equipment out there this day and time it does seem possible though.

4. Member
    Things shift around all the time. Same on the Chowan. Tied a bottle on a tree sticking 6" out of the water 1/2 mile up fr bridge. About 5 hours later... It was up against the the bridge.
    Spro = If you throw it, they will come!!!

I agree though...I think this particular one is stationary. As the 3 reports of boats being tore up just that I have heard about last two years indicate it's the same spot.

6. Member
    Run the sound just about every trip to the Roanoke. Sometimes almost all the way to the Perquimans. Never hit a thing. But then again I dont run next to the bank where the majority of the hazards are and also pay attention to the Nav markers. If I remember correctly the boat damages in question were because of running to close to the bank and not using the markers before making the turns, if i remember correctly.

^^^Man you better knock on some wood after saying "never"

Got gps coordinates from a friend of mine with a picture of the underwater tree in question. It is almost exactly 1 mile out from the bank and about 2 miles east of the mouth of the Roanoke. Just for everyone's knowledge. If this thing stays there and has not moved that's definitely NOT close to the bank.

You can see more than one place where it's taken out a motor just on one section visible

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    ^^^Man you better knock on some wood after saying "never"

Got gps coordinates from a friend of mine with a picture of the underwater tree in question. It is almost exactly 1 mile out from the bank and about 2 miles east of the mouth of the Roanoke. Just for everyone's knowledge. If this thing stays there and has not moved that's definitely NOT close to the bank.

You can see more than one place where it's taken out a motor just on one section visible
    Craig, are the 3 accidents in reference different than the one last year where Tony Woodard lost his motor at mouth of Roanoke?
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Not sure on the name last year Adam. If it was the tournament where the NC Bass challenge and Collins partnered up for that event, yes that is one of the references.

I believe that was Tony and Stewart in Tony’s boat…
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    After seeing the picture, I pulled my map and it shows a snag and a submerged piling in that area. It also looks like it is just south of channel buoy/marker 12 if I am reading the map correctly. You would need to go past that marker before turning south. That marker does appear to be a good ways out in the Sound. When entering and leaving the Sound we follow the channel markers in and out of the various rivers. It takes a minute or two longer, but we feel safer.

If my memory is correct the day of the accident the water was way down, at least it was on the Pasquotank and when you have that condition it just makes matters worse.

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

13. Member
    GREAT Info - thanks to all for posting. You may have saved a life and at least significant boat damage.

I've run the sounds for many years, the new mapping/GPS capabilities always make me realize how lucky I have been anywhere down east. Doesn't have every hazard or the floaters, but at least most of the static stuff. Tight lines.

14. Banned
    I was out in the running around yesterday and noticed a submerged tree that had a danger bouy attached to it and never seen that before in that spot. Anybody know if that yes the particular tree that has been the culprit and was marked for that reason. It is in the general area in question.