Importance of Local Dealer

Currently looking at either a new Tracker Pro 190 or a Ranger RT188/188p. I'm torn between the two platforms but leaning towards the Ranger. How important is having a local dealer? I have a Tracker dealer local to me but the nearest Ranger dealer is 220 miles away. Since I'm looking brand new, should this play a part in my decision? Oregon isn't the best state for purchasing bass boats...

It really depends on you. Are you a mechanical/electrical person or do you have someone do everything for you.

Which every dealer you choose should have the boat prepped and ready to go. Some problems always pop up and in most cases they are small easy fixes. Rarely do you need to take a new boat back to the dealer.
    My vexus dealer is 6 hours away. All my small issues were handled by me and my Vexus area rep.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175. Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

First and foremost, get the boat you want!
    Then get it from a dealer that will support you after the sale.
    I got my boat as it was exactly what I wanted. The salesman was a total putz, Berkeley Outdoors, but is was the boat I wanted.
    Highly unlikely there will be issues with the boat, but the issues would be with the accessories. If needed, they could be serviced by someone local.
    GET the boat you want.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    I like both boats and would be happy in either. Was curious if having a local dealer would be more beneficial with a brand new boat or not. Figured most warranty work would be fit and finish type items. The motor is the same so any reputable marine shop would be able to handle motor issues.

5. Member
    Same company basically. Find a dealer that you can trust.

6. Member
    Dealer relationship is important don't sell it short. You cannot predict in advance what may need to be addressed. Think of your whole warranty period not just the first few weeks after taking delivery.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Bravo 1 FS
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

7. Banned
    I live in Ohio, and bought my new Polarkraft off a dealer in Florida!

8. Banned
    I think dealer support should be a large deciding factor in where you purchase the boat from. Plus trying to get warranty work done from the shop you bought the boat from will help them truly go to bat for you.

9. Member
    A good dealer is more important than a local dealer. The local dealer I bought my boat from hasn't been all that helpful, so I've only been back there for anything once in 5 years.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

10. Member
    A good dealer that you feel comfortable with is very very important if the once in a blue moon issue comes up with the boat. The motor can be worked on by any good certified shop and they can handle warranty work. Most of the time a boat issue is something I fix in my garage. The actual boat itself is not all that complicated.

That said, I don't consider the Tracker and the Ranger as comparable boats if you get down to the details. If the dealer was decent, I would drive 200 miles for the Ranger.....fiberglass console, name recognized for quality, No wood in the Ranger are just a couple of reasons.....If the dealer is decent, I would drive the 200 miles. My dealer is 100 miles away and it is no big deal. I have been there once since I bought the boat. Called, told them what I needed, made appointment, drove over, got it done, and drive back all the same day.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    A good dealer is more important than a local dealer. The local dealer I bought my boat from hasn't been all that helpful, so I've only been back there for anything once in 5 years.

This ^

12. Member
    My closest Ranger "dealer" is the Cabela's in Lacy, WA. Having never dealt with a BPS location for boat related stuff, I have no idea what to expect if warranty work is ever needed nor have I any clue about this location's customer service prowess.
    Last edited by mcjama76; 06-15-2021 at 05:31 PM.