Wooden breakwater and docks

Couple screenshots from yesterday morning. I should have taken a regular photo to show what I was working along, but it's basically a wooden breakwater on wooden pilings to protect boats docked. It's in a current area. Interesting because you can see that they dug out the area in front of the breakwall and piled it inside the breakwall. From what I can tell, there were two bass sitting in the trench but with the current I was having some troubles with presentation.

I am curious from the guys that are really good with side imaging; I feel like I get slightly darker returns on my left side and I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to level the transducer a bit more. These screenshots are pretty good and it's been hard for me to tell if there really is a true difference since on dropoffs I tend to have the shallower water on the starboard side, which would make a difference. Yesterday I was by myself; seems like it is more noticeable when I have someone else with me. I think.

Feel free to provide any critiques. I'm still trying to figure out if I like my image brighter to rely on seeing fish shadows or if I like it better darker to try to get the fish returns to pop. Most of our lakes around here are clear and hard bottoms (gravel, hard muddy sand, or rock). I have a tough time telling rocks from fish but I'm starting to get a bit better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    you can get away with tilting the transducer to either side to try and improve that side. try 1/4 to 1/2"

3. Member
    Nice shots. I would imagine it is darker on the left because the water is probably deeper.

4. Member
    Can anyone tell me how to get the grid lines to tell me how far off to one side an object is...…..similar to the the picture shown above?

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erc1105 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get the grid lines to tell me how far off to one side an object is...…..similar to the the picture shown above?
    Turn off range lines in the DI Overlay settings.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by Erc1105 View Post
    SI Range Lines is the setting in the Sonar main menu. Default is OFF.

SI does Slant Range, not horizontal distance. Range is the distance from the transducer to a subject in a straight line.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL