Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Bourbon expiration date?

I have a bottle of Makers Mark that was given to me as a gift in 1982. The bottle has a label on the front, " Personally selected for, etc.". I've thought about passing it down when the time is appropriate, which it may be. Is there an expiration date on unopened bourbon? Thanks.

2. Member
    You know they age this stuff right?
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

3. Banned
    No I didn't. Please tell me more about this aging process.

5. Banned
    Thanks.

6. Member
    Nah, as long as it is sealed it will stay good.

Aging is different than storing it in a sealed bottle. They age in barrels that breathe some, once it is bottled they want it to stay the way it was when they bottled it.

7. Member
    All of your bourbon is expired. Send it to 42 Wallaby Way, Pekumpsi, Oklahexas, and I will dispose of it for you.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    All of your bourbon is expired. Send it to 42 Wallaby Way, Pekumpsi, Oklahexas, and I will dispose of it for you.
    Hahaha. Classic

9. Member
    I have a bottle of Jim Beam that was opened in the 1970's. Most of it has evaporated. It doesn't smell like it is drinkable. I also have a bottle of (OOP), Old Oscar Pepper that was bottled in 1916 with the cork and paper seal still intact. Looks like about an inch of it has evaporated past the cork. Look through the bottle and on the back side of the label it reads, not for internal use, for medicinal purposes only.

10. Member
    Buddy of mine found a sealed bottle of Southern Comfort at his Grandpa's house when cleaning it out after he had passed, date on the bottle was 1968. The caramel coloring was almost washed out as it was sitting exposed to the sun for all those years but the booze tasted very good, we cracked it open for my bachelor party back in 2003.

11. Member
    The only thing wrong with an old bottle of bourbon is it's not open and being enjoyed.

12. Member
    I once found a bottle of peach brandy dated 1936.Saved it for a while but shared it with a good friend on a fishing trip .Tasted great .

I've got an Eastern Airlines container with about 40 little bottles of different liquors and wine , it's 40+ years old , some things have evaporated but most still full , thinking about drinking it soon .

14. Member
    One important tip: NEVER give it a chance to get old! You're welcome!

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Originally Posted by NoZero

Quote Originally Posted by johnpscott1 View Post
    Hahaha. Classic
    You can't just pour that stuff out on the ground or down the drain it has to be disposed in a manner that breaks it down the safely while removing all of the Alcohol content it is a slow process that has to be done just a few shot glasses at a time so NoZero is making quite a commitment by offering up his services.

I'm sure there would be more than a few generous BBC Volunteers show up to help him that are also experts in the safe disposal of a Hazardous Liquids and some might even be able handle a larger volume than others so it would be nice if some BBC Barbecue, Charcoal Grilling and Blackstone Experts would show up to feed the volunteers.
    Last edited by Hoot; 06-12-2021 at 08:46 PM.

16. Member
    Bourbon expiration date is when the bottom of a high ball glass is dry.

17. Member
    Bourbon will not "expire". On a bottle that old there may be some evaporative loss. Depending on how tight the cork is there could be some change in the taste depending on the amount of air that the juice has been exposed to. Unlike wine, which continues to age in the bottle a 6 year bourbon is a six year bourbon whether it was bottled in 1982 or 2021. There is really only one way to determine if it is still drinkable. You have to open it and have a pour.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

18. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    They age bourbon in barrels.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Originally Posted by NoZero

You can't just pour that stuff out on the ground or down the drain it has to be disposed in a manner that breaks it down the safely while removing all of the Alcohol content it is a slow process that has to be done just a few shot glasses at a time so NoZero is making quite a commitment by offering up his services.

I'm sure there would be more than a few generous BBC Volunteers show up to help him that are also experts in the safe disposal of a Hazardous Liquids and some might even be able handle a larger volume than others so it would be nice of some BBC Barbecue, Charcoal Grilling and Blackstone Experts would show up to feed the volunteers.
    Hahahaha... Many folks don't realize how deeply a fisherman is rooted in conservation.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by dave540 View Post
    I have a bottle of Jim Beam that was opened in the 1970's. Most of it has evaporated. It doesn't smell like it is drinkable. I also have a bottle of (OOP), Old Oscar Pepper that was bottled in 1916 with the cork and paper seal still intact. Looks like about an inch of it has evaporated past the cork. Look through the bottle and on the back side of the label it reads, not for internal use, for medicinal purposes only.
    OOP yea, that stuff was drank by cowboys before they put the hot iron on an open wound. Medicinal purposes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast