Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You should look up the definition of dielectric. It means insulator. There is conductive contact grease, but that isn't it.
    Whats a good one ?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Whats a good one ?
    I use this dielectric from Evinrude/BRP. I use it on a lot of my electrical connectors but I've never thought to use it on my trailer wiring harness connector.

Last edited by 86 inches; 07-17-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

3. Member
    Dielectric grease will not prevent a good contact. You can totally drown a good contact in dielectric grease and it will still conduct. You do not want a conductive grease in a multi pin connection it will develop bimetallic corrosion in the presence of water.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Dielectric grease will not prevent a good contact. You can totally drown a good contact in dielectric grease and it will still conduct. You do not want a conductive grease in a multi pin connection it will develop bimetallic corrosion in the presence of water.
    You’d quickly be fired as an aircraft mechanic.

Can you explain the physics of how a dielectric between two conductors makes the connection better?
    Last edited by CatFan; 07-17-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I don't want to get in the middle of a good debate between guys that know a lot more than I do about electrical stuff but... the BRP product above is a dielectric grease. It is a non-conductive used to protect connections from dirt and corrosion. It also makes it a lot easier to assemble and disassemble many types of connectors. It is probably silicone-based. It does not interfere with conduction at the connection because it is displaced by the tight fitting contacts.

Well that's how I understand it. I do know that Evinrude uses it on many of their electrical connectors.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 07-17-2021 at 05:48 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You’d quickly be fired as an aircraft mechanic.

Can you explain the physics of how a dielectric between two conductors makes the connection better?
    I only worked aircraft for 20 years so I hope they never find out. Dilectric grease is to protect the connection from the environment not prevent a connection. There is a factory grease in many automotive connections for just this purpose from the factory. Moisture, especially dirty water is the enemy of a good connection because it suspends contaminants and adds to the conductivity in a closed space. The connection, a pin and socket juncture does not care about grease it makes a mechanical connection.

I don't want to burst your bubble but :https://www.autozone.com/greases-and...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

7. Member
    I understand that grease protects from corrosion but how does it protect from dirt?

Anytime I used grease around dirt the grease collected dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    I understand that grease protects from corrosion but how does it protect from dirt?

Anytime I used grease around dirt the grease collected dirt.
    I use it basically two ways. I put some on the openings in the back of a connector to help slide the contacts into the housing when assembly the connector. This also will help prevent moisture and dirt from entering the connector at those points. Then, I put a little on the seal of the connector for the same purpose... to lubricate the connectors so they slide together easier and to prevent contaminants from entering the completed connection. The seal does most of the work but I think the grease adds a level of protection. Also, sometimes a dry nonlubricated seal will grab or pucker and not slide into place perfectly leaving a small disruption in the seal. The grease prevents that from happening.

If I get some of the nonconducting grease on a contact, I don't worry about it interfering with conduction because it is displaced away by the tight fit of the contacts.

9. Member
    Everyone knows the difference between a silicone grease and a dielectric silicone grease is the the very expensive addition of the "dielectrics".

Just plain old silicone grease won't work in these situations without the "dielectrics" added.

Yeah, I'm kidding

10. Member

11. Member
    I never unhook the trailer from my truck, solves the dilemma, always ready to fish

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I don't want to get in the middle of a good debate between guys that know a lot more than I do about electrical stuff but... the BRP product above is a dielectric grease. It is a non-conductive used to protect connections from dirt and corrosion. It also makes it a lot easier to assemble and disassemble many types of connectors. It is probably silicone-based. It does not interfere with conduction at the connection because it is displaced by the tight fitting contacts.

Well that's how I understand it. I do know that Evinrude uses it on many of their electrical connectors.
    And not intended to be used on a high use device like a plug.

13. Member
    My trailer plug is either plugged into the trucks trailer socket, or snapped onto the trailer frame in it’s dedicated plug holder. It doesn’t get wet when it’s connected to the truck, as it’s in a dry location and the truck doesn’t even get the tires wet launching off loading the boat. When it’s disconnected, the trailer plug holder has it at a slight downward angle to prevent water from entering the plug.

14. Member
    My 2019 Nitro has a clip under the step to hang the plug from and it hides it too.

15. Member
    Yep, don’t unplug it.

16. Member
    Etrailer has several types of connectors to screw to your trailer that you can plug in when not in use

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ics/ACP7B.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12